RHEL 7 Updates

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
Where Is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7?

I know Red Hat Summit is happening this week in Massachusetts, and there has been a few speculations on the next RHEL release.

I hope the new RHEL doesn't get released until after I finish the RHCE, which is gonna be a WHILE. :p

Here are the new possible changes:

- Replacing Ext4 with XFS file system
- UEFI and Secure Boot support
- vSwitch

And the most important change of all is the kernel update. They're probably going to move from 2.6 to 3.11. icon_eek.gif

Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing, but I gotta say that's a big leap.

Comments

• BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Beta at the end of the year.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Interesting, looks like my RHCE 5 needs an upgrade soon...

I was hoping that Linux would adopt ZFS (like BSD did) but I knew it wouldn't happen (thank you Oracle icon_rolleyes.gif )
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I remember I was worried about the release of RHEL7 regarding RHCE.
    but I dont think the exam changes that soon after the release
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wonder what's going to happen if I take the RHCSA on RHEL 6, but then they release RHEL 7 - will I just need to pass the RHCE part on 7 or retake the RHCSA as well? If so, then it makes sense to wait for the new version.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Install Fedora 18. RHEL 7 will be similar.

Did you spend time learning Anaconda (the installer)? What about init scripts, or iptables, or grub? Anaconda was completely rewritten. systemd replaces init scripts. firewalld replaces iptables. grub2 replaces grub. Hopefully you didn't spend much time learning that soon-to-be obsolete stuff.

yum might be replaced by dnf. It is basically the same as yum, though (except it's currently unsafe to use).

Do you like network device names like "eth0" and "wlan0"? Well they are now "ajakp32423s3842" and "wkjp1346s238". Since that is obviously easier (only a slight exaggeration here).

/etc/sysconfig/ has always been where many things have been configured. Some of those have been arbitrarily moved for your convenience.

There's a new upgrader, called "fedup". Seriously. No, it does not upgrade your server to Windows when you are fed up with all the changes.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • timmetimme Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just as I get my RHCSA they announce the new version. I better hurry up and get the RHCE before the certification changes.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Its going to be a while before the cert changes. Maybe 2014 First quarter.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    As I recall the cert is good for 2 releases (certed on RHEL 6; good till RHELicon_cool.gif. I don't think they'll switch certs to the new EL7 for a year or more.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    The cert program will switch in about 6 months. I think this was the time frame when they switched from 5 to 6 if I remember well
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can easily change the names to "wlan0" "eth0", but the systemd, grub conf and other stuff is crazy... I hope that they'll stay on the old good RHEL 6 configuration scripts in RHEL7.

--
    Regards
  • twocoldtwocold Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been fortunate (if you want to call it that) enough to get my hands on legit RHEL7 Alpha..... SPOILER ALERTS FOLLOW!!!
    - First... its near identical to Fedora 18.
    - Anaconda totally re-engineered. It looks more like a web 2.0 page or some touchscreen madness.
    - Init - gone... systemd now...,
    - Configuration - say goodbye to /etc/sysconfig, all your scripts... and good luck finding anything
    - First it was network manager (I hate it, first thing I do to RHEL6 is strip it all out).... now its some reimagined version of network manager (good luck with the 10 NICS you have teamed in your NFS/Samba box)
    - eth0, eth1, wlan0, usb0.... gone.... hope you're good at reading dmesg to figure out whats what (remember your poor little file server?)
    - uEFI support... RHEL 6 was native EFI, but now they have the secureboot crap in there (thanks M$!) icon_rolleyes.gif
    - No more mysql (yay?)
    - Gnome 3 (I'm a KDE/CLI fanboy.. so yech)icon_twisted.gif
    - The opportunity to relearn the command line nearly from scratch (back to school with yeh!)
    - Serious lack of books out there on fedora 18 right now... sooo yea good luck with that icon_study.gif

As a somewhat jaded engineer... I already had to relearn the damn M$ GUI (what smeghead puts a touchscreen UI on a server?!?!?).... I'm not particularly looking forward to relearning RHEL too... As with win2012, I forsee quite the long migration period for IT departments around the world.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    twocold wrote: »
    - No more mysql (yay?)
    Interesting, so RedHat switched to MariaDB. That improves MariaDB's outlook *thumbs up* (Opinion: Which I think is good - sorry, no Oracle fan)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
    @twocold

You're a lucky guy. I would beat the RH representatives here if I could get the hand on one of that.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    RHEL7 . Back to the books ! Again ! I have started to hate studying looking at the changes. May take some time for people to take this up.

As a trainer I have no option !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

Not excited. IT is all about keeping up to date and learning new products, but sometimes it's boring icon_silent.gif

• brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fedora 18 ... well ... the first Fedora I don't like :)
    Systemd, stupid device names (thanks God for the kernel switches :) ), new GRUB, services/ /etc configuration madness ...
    But on the other side - DRBD in kernel, support for ZFS (hopefully), new filesystems.

So it's not as bad as it looks :)

--
    Regards
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm actually looking forward to some of the new changes. I've been using arch for awhile and just switched back to fedora today. The only thing that I wasn't familiar with before today was firewalld but there's some good documentation on it and if you get the concepts behind systemd then firewalld is pretty easy to pick up on. It's really just a matter of knowing what tools you need to control certain aspects of the system and systemd is just a way to centralize that management. If there's something missing from the sysconfig directory or the /etc/init.d/ directory there's a good chance it's moved over to systemd. the archwiki also has some great documentation on systemd even if you're not using arch. Everybody should be familiar with grub2 by now if you use any of the newer linux distros.
    @W Stewart: you are right, the concepts are the same so the transition shouldn't be difficult. I think I'm just demotivated these days :)

• devhdadevhda Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bodanel wrote: »
    Beta at the end of the year.

Bodanel, do you know this from a reliable source or is this just pure guess?

I'd like to know as well, for I am preparing for RHCE.

If you are right, Beta at the end of the year means RHEL 7 might be released first quarter 2014 or maybe they might wait for the next Red Hat Summit even?

In that case, can we expect that RHCE 6 exams would remain active until at least 5-6 months after that, that is, one year from now, say September 2014, or even more?

What do you all think?
    Beta at the end of the year is the estimation from some manager at RH summit. I think RHEL 6 exam will be around at least until next summer. Alpha had already a few versions.
  • devhdadevhda Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bodanel wrote: »
    I think RHEL 6 exam will be around at least until next summer.

That's good news! :) Thanks Bodanel.
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This thread has been the motivation I needed to start studying again. I've set my VMs up and I'll be studying the requirements for the RHCE exam to get it passed before RHEL7 is released. It would be nice to get it passed before the year is out, I've given myself a 1st November date for a first attempt at the exam.

I doubt I'll be able to get my employer to pay for another Red Hat course this year so if I factor in for a couple of attempts at the exam it's still much cheaper.
    Looked a few more changes that were made in fedora. I can see how it would appear as though some things were arbitrarily moved but after using a few other distros I believe some of those changes may have been made to make fedora more lsb compliant. for instance, /etc/sysconfig/clock was replaced by the /etc/localtime file but if you've used other non-redhat distrost then you're going to be very familiar with that file. I think it will ultimately make managing multiple linux servers of various distributions a lot easier.
    Rhel 7 switched to KDE for default desktop. We will see beta before this year's end. Source here:
    RHEL 7 will be a KDE Desktop - Slashdot
    gnome3 is garbage anyway and it's developers have a bad habit of ignoring what their user base actually wants so good for redhat.

Edit: If that article is accurate, then that also means that RHEL7 will be out within the next month.
    I think they missed the beta statement in the article. At RH summit in June RH said that they plan to release beta in december.
    Testing the beta version in a vm right now.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Downloading the beta now. Going to install it into a VM as soon as its done downloading.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, RHEL 7 beta is out. The changes will take some warming up.