Ruby on Rails?

Howdy all!

Cousin wants to get into web dev (I may check it out with him out of curiosity) and seems like he is going to try one of these Web Dev boot camps where they do a deep dive in Ruby on Rails, or they jam someone's brain full of HTML, Rails, jscript, etc. very quickly.

Wanted to get thoughts on Ruby on Rails?
Flavor of the month for web dev? Here to stay?

I did a quick search, and didn't see a particular forum section here for web dev or ruby/ruby on rails. Post related questions in the General Cert section?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Flavor of the month for web dev? Here to stay?
    Who knows what will happen ten years from now, but it's been popular for 4-6 years or so. Definitely more than the "Flavor of the month", and I doubt it will disappear overnight. Clearly it's not the market leader, but two of the last three jobs I interviewed for involving scripting had at least one guy who programmed in Ruby. I don't see any problems with learning Ruby as his first of probably multiple languages. It may nudge him towards better coding practices! Also, concepts tend to transfer, even as languages change.
  • hoktaurihoktauri Member Posts: 148
    At the networking events I go to I've talked to developers and it's all !!!Java!!! I know a bit of RoR and Python and and they've said it was a good start but nothing that would get me hired.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hoktauri wrote: »
    I know a bit of RoR and Python and and they've said it was a good start but nothing that would get me hired.
    I just did a job search in my area, and it popped up ~100 Ruby on Rails positions. The first Ruby position has a salary of $90k-130k and desires these skills--"Rails, Ubuntu, Facebook, Mobile Web, HTTP, HTML, CSS, JS" Now, that isn't for someone who just finished a bootcamp, but rather someone who knows the language well and uses it effectively to do work. It's odd your colleagues think there's only one marketable way/language to do a job. A CS degree--very common for developers--typically covers multiple languages.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    He wants to be a web developer, so any language will suffice. Ruby on Rails is a great choice, and it will help him get a job. But he must be prepared to learn new languages, like PHP or Python. If he's good in one language, then learning other languages shouldn't be a problem. He wants to be a web developer, the language is just a tool.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com