Options

Switching Careers

ElDirtySquirrelElDirtySquirrel Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I originally went to school for a degree in Computer Science, but halfway through, switch to New Media/Graphic design to pursue mainly web design. I had always been artistic, and thought this would lead me to job that wasn't just work, but that I could be creative and have fun. Anyways, I am now 28 years old, moved to Boston, and I am thinking I would like to pursue a job in the IT field.

How hard would it be to get back into it? I was thinking of applying for some help desk jobs to get my feet wet, but I lack the experience. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I originally went to school for a degree in Computer Science, but halfway through, switch to New Media/Graphic design to pursue mainly web design. How hard would it be to get back into it?

It's not particularly hard. You might begin by earning entry-level certification like the A+, Network+, or Security+. Other options include Microsoft or Cisco certifications. An A+ is often enough for a first job. The difference in dropping the CS degree will be a lower earning potential and fewer options... maybe $20,000 less your first year.

It's good you at least completed a degree. That will help you long-term. :)
  • Options
    Thanks! I think I am going to look into A+ and Network+. I took some practice questions, and just from general knowledge, was able to confidently answer @75% of them. Any recommendations on study books? I might go run out and buy one today.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the exact same position mate, I'm 27 with a CS Degree doing web design and want to move into networking. I started to do certifications, Network+, CCNA, I'm going to do Linux+ and MCSA by the end of the year. Hopefully I can get a job at entry level with these. I don't have a job yet but yeah like said above start learning and do some certs as the first step. Good luck! Some people on this forum have landed great first jobs even after just CCNA.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks wallpaper! I will check that out. I might need to invest in a new computer too, I currently own 2 Imacs. When I jumped ship in college to do design, I fell in love with macs. Perhaps I should grab a cheap PC to play with?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in the exact same position mate, I'm 27 with a CS Degree doing web design and want to move into networking. I started to do certifications, Network+, CCNA,
    You have a CS degree? I'd begin floating your resume even now or as soon as you get your CCNA. There's a good chance--even in smaller areas--you could skip the help desk stage entirely and/or a high starting salary. :)
  • Options
    minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Curious as to why you guys are leaving the web design field? Were you involved in the development side of things? or just design?
  • Options
    I was more into the design part of it. In fact, after school, I got a job as a server at a bar to make ends meet. That led them to offering me a job to do all their promotional stuff, such as flyers, posters, banners, and websites. I actually have mainly been doing layouts and flyers.

It is hard to design, particularly when the client gives you a project, you complete it, and you think the world of it, only for the client to turn around and change everything on you. Thats the nature of the design world though, and I am just looking for something different.

I also see more possibilities and chances to make more money in the field of IT.
  • Options
    geektechacademygeektechacademy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should give it a shot. I do web design as well, trying to start my own web design/internet marketing company but have troubles finding clients. I decided to go into IT as you can do many different things and I tend to enjoy playing with computer and technology. I still work on it on the side while I work full-time.

I am currently employed in a Helpdesk Technician role but it's a small organization so I have the chance to play with the infrastructure. I plan on studying for my A+ then Network+. I definitely, need to make a goal to complete my A+ within a few months. I plan on going into the Networking or System Administration side so I think.

Good luck.
  • Options
    How did you get into your help desk position without those certifications? Was it easy?

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
  • Options
    sleepingturtlesleepingturtle Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree that the A+ isn't bad to have, but do definitely get your name out there. Start networking, any groups that you can get affiliated with could potentially lead to employment. A lot of jobs never get advertised. I have come across a few in that manner.