Jabber

JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

Has anyone installed and tested Jabber on the UC500 series without any issues? I've been reading on the Cisco forums and there seems to be some limitations. Also I'm just wondering whether Android phones are also supported?
[h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I installed the Jabber App on my Galaxy S4, but haven't gotten around to connecting it to a server and testing it out. So, there is definitely an Android App. I just can't say how well it works.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks,
    We will like to have a UC500 series in the office, the only problem is I'm not quite sure whether there are any issues or what exactly the limitations are.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I've deployed every iteration of Jabber at my previous company. Here is the rundown.

Jabber on PC/Mac requires either WebEx cloud or on-prem Presence and IM server (formerly CUPS).

Jabber for iPad requires CUCM and CUPS if you want to use all features.

Jabber for iPhone/Android requires CUCM. The Android version doesn't work on all OS versions.

Jabber IM for iPhone requires CUPS.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Requirements
    • Cisco Unified Communications Manager:
      • Unified CM 7.1(5), starting with 7.1(5.32900-2 ) or 7.1(5b)su3
      • Unified CM 8.0(3), starting with 8.0(3.21900 or 8.0(3a)su1
      • Unified CM 8.5(1), starting with 8.5(1.11900-21) 8.5(1)su1
      • Unified CM 8.6(2), starting with 8.6(2.21008-1) or 8.6(2a)su1
      • Unified CM 9.1(1)
    Thanks for the reply Aaron,

I guess a UC560 will work then? Depending you have the right licenses?
    UC560 will not work. You need full CUCM with the .cop file installed in order to setup a Jabber for iPhone/Android device.
    Aaron, thanks again for the confirmation, by the way i have not been able to find a document on the Cisco website about this and i need to convince the guys around here not to go for a UC5X

I've been trying to convince them to use a Cisco 2821 we have here in the office and we also have access to a 2960 POE
    JustFred wrote: »
    Aaron, thanks again for the confirmation, by the way i have not been able to find a document on the Cisco website about this and i need to convince the guys around here not to go for a UC5X

I've been trying to convince them to use a Cisco 2821 we have here in the office and we also have access to a 2960 POE

Listed under Sys Requirements:

Cisco Jabber for iPhone 9.1(4) Release Notes* [Cisco Jabber for iPhone] - Cisco Systems

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Android/9_1/JABA_BK_JD931F9C_00_jabber-android-release-notes-9-1-2.pdf
    Thanks for the links and all the help
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    UC500 is going to be EOS/EOL soon. So I would consider another product if you are looking for long term use out of the UC500 box.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Which other product would you guys recommend?

I figured there is still life in our 2821.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    2821's are EOL/EOS as well. They don't support the newer versions of CME. CME is only gonna be recommend for sites now that have requirements for staying up even when there is a WAN failure and SRST won't cut it. Depending on the size of your company there are a few options I can recommend.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown wrote: »
    2821's are EOL/EOS as well. They don't support the newer versions of CME. CME is only gonna be recommend for sites now that have requirements for staying up even when there is a WAN failure and SRST won't cut it. Depending on the size of your company there are a few options I can recommend.

2800 series is EOS but support will be around for a few years. I'm waiting for an 1861 equivalent in the 2900 series. The 1861 is the perfect branch office h323 gateway/SRST router. The PoE switch module is an added bonus on an already great value with this model.