Options

Trying to Decide on my Information Assurance/Cyber Security Masters

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
I am looking for a program that has the following characteristics in order of importance.

1) Fully- Distance Learning (The 1 week residency for Norwich is acceptable but I cannot do months at a time).
2) Quality of Instruction (I don't want to learn from idiots who have no real world experience)
3) Technical over Managerial (I learn best through reading and studying and I looked at the NSU as being a very technical degree.)
4) Reputation (with all of the three above met then I will consider reputation).

Price is not an issue in this discussion, I don't really care how much it costs.

Thanks,

-Phil

Comments

• Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I want my Masters in the same thing, but am having trouble deciding. The curriculum for UMUC's masters in Cybersecurity looks interesting, but UMUC doesn't carry the weight Norwich does. I was looking at Norwich's program in Information Security and Assurance and it looks really good too, I'm actually looking more and more at this program as time goes by. The "technical" requirement you have doesn't look like it would really be met by the Norwich program though. Also, I know you said cost didn't matter but the Norwich program is only $85/hour more than UMUC, and in my opinion that is worth it.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm starting on my Master of Engineering in Information Assurance at Iowa State next week. 10 classes. 100% online. A very technical degree. Reputation as one of the original 7 NSA CAE's.

Information Assurance Master

Alternatively look at the sticky at the top of the forum listing the online degrees for other choices.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NavyIT wrote: »
    I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I want my Masters in the same thing, but am having trouble deciding. The curriculum for UMUC's masters in Cybersecurity looks interesting, but UMUC doesn't carry the weight Norwich does. I was looking at Norwich's program in Information Security and Assurance and it looks really good too, I'm actually looking more and more at this program as time goes by. The "technical" requirement you have doesn't look like it would really be met by the Norwich program though. Also, I know you said cost didn't matter but the Norwich program is only $85/hour more than UMUC, and in my opinion that is worth it.

I love the Norwich program and was going to do it however my career situation has led me to go towards the technical side of security, however I would recommend the Norwich program to anyone who isn't set on a technical masters.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I attended Capitol College. I really liked the program and got alot out of it.

Capitol College
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    You should check out Core Courses - MSIA - Master of Science in Information Assurance - Dakota State University. I am starting next Monday and will be working on a Graduate Certificate in Ethical Hacking but will most likely move into the Masters of Information Assurance after that. Cost isn't terrible, curriculum seems to be good, 100% online.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Ok, good feedback. I did read the sticky and while it does list a hell of a lot of schools it doesn't help me narrow down anything. See the problem is a school can have a AWESOME looking course that is taught by some dude in India who can't spell IT and whom I cannot understand. Thus I am looking for an experienced opinion (meaning you either went there or you know first-hand, not my uncles dog told me that bob down the street knew a guy who might have attended xyz college).

Don't get me wrong, my writing style is sarcastic by nature but you all have been freakin awesome by replying in the first place!

So help my lazy butt focus on 3-4 schools that meet my requirements. (I reposted for your reading convenience, see I am a nice guy after all icon_biggrin.gif)

I am looking for a program that has the following characteristics in order of importance.

1) Fully- Distance Learning (The 1 week residency for Norwich is acceptable but I cannot do months at a time).
    2) Quality of Instruction (I don't want to learn from idiots who have no real world experience)
    3) Technical over Managerial (I learn best through reading and studying and I looked at the NSU as being a very technical degree.)
    4) Reputation (with all of the three above met then I will consider reputation).

Price is not an issue in this discussion, I don't really care how much it costs.

-Phil
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I haven't taken any classes at Dakota State yet but I do know that these 2 professors are two that I will be taking classes with.

Dr. Josh Pauli ==> Home
    Home

I believe they both have spoken at Defcon/BlackHat and do penetration testing on the side. I also know that DSU has a Welcome to the National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition team that won their region and finished 2nd nationally this year. The combination of those things are what pushed me towards DSU.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    As far as instructors, from what I can tell all of the instructors in the Iowa State program are Phd holders and experts in their field. Google Doug or Douglas Jacobson, who teaches 3 of the 10 courses in the program.
  • Options
    dbrink wrote: »
    I haven't taken any classes at Dakota State yet but I do know that these 2 professors are two that I will be taking classes with.

Dr. Josh Pauli ==> Home
    Home

I believe they both have spoken at Defcon/BlackHat and do penetration testing on the side. I also know that DSU has a Welcome to the National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition team that won their region and finished 2nd nationally this year. The combination of those things are what pushed me towards DSU.

Man the curriculum at DSU looks Nasty (in a good way), I like the professor bio's also and the situational essay is a nice touch...