Another pass - easier than A+

SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
Passed the Net+ with a 826/900. I used Meyers' All-in-One to study and just read about a chapter a day and reviewed for a week or two (with a Vegas trip as a setback). In my opinion, it was easier than the A+ because it was more focused. I scored mid to high 700s on the two A+ exams respectively. As I stated about the A+ tests, there were questions that were worded poorly, but they will definitely not make or break your exam unless you are ill-prepared.

Next up: Security+ or MSCA: Windows 7? Going to figure that one out in the next day or two. Leaning towards the Sec+.

Comments

• GoodspeedGoodspeed Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice work. icon_cool.gif
    I taking the Network+ test on Thursday.

I had chosen the MCSA: Windows 7. However, it seems CompTIA trio pays off better in the U.S. than in Europe.

Go with your gut!
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Congrats! I also thought that the network+ was easier than the a+ but maybe its because I like network technology more than windows. In fact, because the information for the network+ was so general that was what sparked my curiosity for further networking knowledge.
  • phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Out of curiousity, how different is the Network+ today compared to the 2000 version? I have mine (under the grandfathered for life policy) and took it back in 2000. I actually didn't study for it at all. I had a fairly good networking background and had been studying for the CCNA. I passed that fairly easily and decided to just try to pass the Network+ a day later and scored pretty high. It seemed back then to be somewhat of a joke of a test (ie: What port does Telnet listen on by default?).

While I've never really 'needed' the Network+ cert, I was wondering if having a newer one under the newer policy would be a benefit over the grandfathered version. In other words, are they considered two different levels of the cert?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Shadow RealmShadow Realm Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gratz on the pass, How long did it take you to do it as I will be starting in the next week or two and then I'll be moving onto CCENT. Does that sound like an easy enough transition or should I do A+ before everything
    Currently Working On: CompTIA A+ and MCITP: Windows 7
    Want To Complete: Network+, Security+, Linux+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, RHCE, CISSP (Associate)
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

I would go for Security+ to complete CompTIA trio then move onto Microsoft!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Gratz on the pass, How long did it take you to do it as I will be starting in the next week or two and then I'll be moving onto CCENT. Does that sound like an easy enough transition or should I do A+ before everything

I started studying around September 1st and I passed the test on October 12th. I tried to cover one of the twenty chapters per day. There were a few days off here and there. Then, I probably spent about 10-12 days reviewing for ~15-20 minutes per day. If I didn't take the few days off and go to Vegas, then I probably could have finished it in a month. I do not have a professional background in IT, so I can only imagine that those who do could likely finish it in considerably less time.

I think the A+ was good for me because I haven't been working with computers for some time. A+ was enough to bring me up to date on some of the latest hardware including CPU sockets, RAM, hard drives, etc. I also got some more exposure to Windows 7 troubleshooting. I know people will saying that A+ and Network+ can be a waste and others say CompTIA in general. However, I will have learned a lot and earned three certifications for less than the cost of a single college course. I'm making sure to read every sentence in every certification book and testing things out along the way.

I hope this helps.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

I would go for Security+ to complete CompTIA trio then move onto Microsoft!!

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking that I will take that route. There are so many ways to go, but I just need to keep picking one and working on it. I'm hoping that in the next year I will finish: Security+, MSCA: Windows 7, CCENT, CCNA, and then possibly a Microsoft server certification. That being said, I told myself I will not go beyond Security+ until I get a job. I realize that none of these certifications are worth much without experience.

Thanks!
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass, good score and all the best of luck in whatever you choose to study next!!!icon_thumright.gif
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Security+ gets my vote.
    Good Luck with whatever you choose.
  • chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Its good to know so many people think the Network+ is easier. I'm sure A+ isn't particularly hard for a lot of people but it was challenging for me because I'm so new to IT. Its at least a good warm up for the Network+ as far as I can tell.