Would ITIL be right for me?

jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just some questions I have regarding a ITIL certification and hope I can get some guidance on here.

Some background on me... I currently work at huge health care provider's Help Desk supporting over 60,000 users and have been at this position for 2 1/2 years now. The company I work for is beginning to adopt ITI and is very serious about itL. They provided a 1 day crash course of ITIL and the basic practices and life cycle of it and it really interested me.

I have no IT certifications as of yet just because I don't really know what I want to do in IT. I currently have a degree in business operations/information systems management. At my current position, we do tier 1 support but a lot of it is escalating to tier 2/3 support so I don't have much technical experience but am the first point of contact for ALL IT related issues so I do get a brief touch of everything in the company.

Would a intermediate ITIL certification be a good fit for me? I have read up on other certifications like CCNA, Security +, etc but they don't really interest me as much as ITIL does. What job opportunities would a Help Desk tech with a ITIL certification get?

ANY information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My previous employer was a large health insurance company and was very big on ITIL. Getting the cert my help your advancement in your company. Not sure if I see ITIL as a technical cert but more of a business process cert. With 60,000 users, your company probably has a change management team and having the ITIL cert may help you get a position there.

You may also want to look into the CompTIA Healthcare IT technician cert. Covers a lot of ground and may help you figure out what you would like to do.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi jg, there are many employers who value ITIL certification in the current market - both public and private sector. You'll need to complete the ITIL Foundation course before taking any higher level certs, which can be useful in helping you decide if you want to go for any of the intermediate courses. Operational Support and Analysis might be a good fit for you as it focuses on the support processes, and could help you in your future career. If you've got a job in mind that you'd like to go for take a look at some recruitment sites and see if they are asking for ITIL certs - that's always a good indication too. Claire