Options

CISSP Exam for 3rd time...So close to passing but not close enough.

mnijhawanmnijhawan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I am trying to pass the CISSP exam for a 3rd time. The first time I scored a low 600, the second time which was last Friday, I scored a 680. So close but not close enough. I am re-reading the CBK and the Dummies book and also reviewing all my notes and flash cards. Can anyone recommend a good study strategy and practice exams so that I can pass it this third time around...I have to wait the 90 days so my exam is Jan 9th. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is your experience background and how long did you spend studying?
  • Options
    IT Manager is my professional background...I spent about 7 weeks studying and taking the exam twice. Thanks!
  • Options
    rawhiderawhide Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT Manager resoponsibilties may vary alot and may not necessary have all/few CBK domains involved.

I am reading not so familiar domains like Physical, Legal, BCP/DR, Application Security, Security Arch from AIO ( Harris ) and the more familiar ones like Telecom, Access Control , Infosec Governance from Eric Conrad. Also, cryptography desrves to be studied in more detailed fasioned and I find my comfort in AIO.
  • Options
    RanMicRanMic Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mnijhawan wrote: »
    Hello All,
    I am trying to pass the CISSP exam for a 3rd time. The first time I scored a low 600, the second time which was last Friday, I scored a 680. So close but not close enough. I am re-reading the CBK and the Dummies book and also reviewing all my notes and flash cards. Can anyone recommend a good study strategy and practice exams so that I can pass it this third time around...I have to wait the 90 days so my exam is Jan 9th. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

For me I read over and over and over the CBK only. I did use the Shon Harris practice test for comparison on what I learned but to be honest I was failing the practice test when I took and passed the real test. I thought the practice test were harder or more confusing than the actual real thing. Know and UNDERSTAND the CBK book material and you will hopfully be fine. For example, now when and how MAC and DAC are used, not just what they mean.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have you tried Eric Conrad CISSP Study guide? After completing the CISSP CBK the first time, I change to Eric Conrad study guide. More or less I know what to study on and Eric Conrad nail the point I required to study on, the book writing style is short and precise and exactly what I need. I would also recommend freepracticetest.org (although its not really free) to use with the study guide.
  • Options
    bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    I spent about 7 weeks studying

Well that's it. 7 weeks for CISSP prep seems a tad short. A 680 in 7 weeks isn't bad. Keep pounding away for the 90 days doing what you're doing, and you should pass. Don't rely on just one prep quizzer.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will take all the advice in stride and use multiple sources to study from. Appreciate the support!
  • Options
    HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Keep hammering it...

Make sure you read 3, 4, 5 times the areas you are having trouble. Research the area using Google. That's the only way things will stick in your head and you will pass the exam.
  • Options
    Thank you Humbe! I will keep re-reading my weakest areas.
  • Options
    HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    Thank you Humbe! I will keep re-reading my weakest areas.

Anytime !

Down the road after our group completes the ISSAP we will be proving an Online Class via Google+ on the CISSP certification. If you don't have it by then you can join us !