Would a B.S. in Computers help me?

tecjohnsontecjohnson Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking for some advice.

My background is that I graduated with a B.S. in Mass Communications with a concentration on Television. Yeah, I know, but it got me on the set of Sesame Street for a couple of years.

But I decided I really hate freelance work (and almost all television production work is freelance) so I got into computers.

I have been a Desktop Support II for about 10 years now. The pay here is better than most (almost $70K) and it was secure and frankly I just got lazy.

Unfortunately this company offers no training what-so-ever and no room for advancement. Whenever something opens up outside of Desktop Support they almost always go outside the company first.

Now I think it is really time to move on. Especially with a pair of twins having arrived. I have been sending out my resume but no luck yet. Had a couple of interviews but said I was too qualified for Desktop Support (which wouldn't pay as much anyway) and underqualified for anything else.

Do people here think a BS from WGU may open a few more doors for me?

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    At this point, I don't think it would be a good use of your time to go back to school and earn a second degree, even if it is in Information Systems. I think you'd be better off focusing on moving into something either server-side or network-side, depending on your interests, and climbing the IT ladder from there. The fact that you already have a Bachelor's degree will server you well, as will some heavier-duty certs.

If I were in your shoes, I would do two things: upgrade that MCSA Windows 7 to Windows 8, just to have the latest-and-greatest credentials you can in your current field. After that, go for earning your MCSA Windows Server 2012 certification, and perhaps even something like the CCNA to round out your skillset. Once you get to that point, you can decide which direction to take your career. You can move up towards Microsoft's new MCSE track, you could expand your networking skills to the CCNP-level, or even see about finding a local community college that runs a VCP class in order to build up your virtualization knowledge. . . not to mention the fact that having the VCP-DCV on your resume is going to get you a LOT of hits on your job-search. Then, of course, there's always other areas to look at, like Linux-related certs, but that's really a matter of your preference and what you'd like to do in your career.

In short, you're better off expanding your knowledge and earning some heavier-hitting certifications than taking a second Bachelor's. If you do return to school, do it at a later time and perhaps go for a Master's in information security or something along those lines.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You already have a lot of good credentialing and a degree. I think a good suit and a strong resume are your best friend at this point. If you are hell bent on going back to school I would consider a masters not just a bachelors. You already have one of those.
  • tecjohnsontecjohnson Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand,

You kind of hit on the course I am currently on. I passed my 70-410, going to be taking my 70-411 in early November and have my MCSA Server 2012 by the end of the year I hope.

Then I will renew my Security + (shouldn't take that long) Maybe go for the Linux+ to round things out and then try for my CCNA.

I was thinking of going for the Masters in Information Security and Assurance at WGU, but I talked to an adminissions councelor today and she did not think I was qualified for the Masters program...which is why I was thinking of going for the BS.

And one of the things I was thinking of this is my work does have a Tuition reimbursement program that would cover most of the BS but they won't pay for individual classes...that would have to come out of my own pocket. And with the above said twins, my pockets are pretty shallow.

But thank you and N2IT, that is good advice.
    Perhaps you'd be in better shape for one of the Master's programs once you've been working on the administration-end of IT for a while and have some new certs under your belt? I could swear that we've got some members here on TechExams that have taken a non-IT degree and a few years of experience, along with their certs, and have been admitted to the graduate-programs at WGU.

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might consider CASP for your Sec+ renewal. It would add some value and renew Sec+ for you. I don't normally advocate for it much, but it makes more sense to me than retaking Sec+ for renewal purposes. Otherwise, I generally agree with what Slowhand is advising, though I question MCSA Windows 8. Really, I would skip straight to the server technologies. Even 8.1 is not seeing widespread enterprise adoption, and I doubt you'd be expected to know it well unless you stay in desktop support, which is the opposite of your goal.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In addition to what ptilsen mentioned about the CASP, getting it may qualify you for the MS:ISA through WGU. Although that would be up to admissions, which seem to have gotten stricter since I applied last year.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wasn't under the impression WGU's MSISA required a related undergrad. Most infosec/assurance programs don't have strict requirements in that area or will accept professional experience in lieu of a degree.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You would be better off getting a masters than another undergrad degree. With that being said, you have a good amount of certifications and I would try to get those higher. For instance the MSCA, going for server 2012 if you like the side of the house. You could go for networking certifications as well.
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I wasn't under the impression WGU's MSISA required a related undergrad. Most infosec/assurance programs don't have strict requirements in that area or will accept professional experience in lieu of a degree.

Well, here are the requirements for WGU:
    • Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
      • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
      • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
      • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.

The lady I talked to stressed these are the minimum standards. If I get my CCNA I may reapply. But the choice of certifications seem kinda...random.
    ptilsen wrote: »
    You might consider CASP for your Sec+ renewal. It would add some value and re

Actually just found out if I pass the MCSA Server 2012 (which I am already studying for), the will count toward renewing the Sec+.
    tecjohnson wrote: »
    The lady I talked to stressed these are the minimum standards. If I get my CCNA I may reapply. But the choice of certifications seem kinda...random.
    The reason the CCNA is included is most likely because, while the routing & switching path does include some security considerations, there is a security path for all levels of Cisco's certifications. Chances are, they just didn't get granular enough in the requirements and are looking to see that you just have your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE, not specifically the CCNA Security, CCNP Security, or CCIE Security.