Options

Company keeps listing same job once every year

Im always looking at the job market and have noticed in the last 3 yrs the same company advertises the same junior and senior cisco network engineer position at least 1 or 2 times a yr. I wanted to apply 3 yrs back but didnt have the experience now I do and the job description sounds great but Im trying to look at it with the glass half full and hoping the last hires were promoted. Is the frequent job posting an instant red flag of a high turnover rate of ppl leaving or getting fired.

Comments

• Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's hard to say. I keep seeing a certain company keep posting the same Director of Security position every few months, so it makes me think that it's not a good place to work. I would think 3 times is not a fluke.

What does glassdoor say about the company?
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sign up, see if you can get into a face to face with a few people. Try to meet your potential co-workers, see the environment and ask to meet a boss or two. If you can do some of that you will have a better idea than you do now.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I'd take a look at the company's growth. Maybe they are truly growing quick enough that this isn't turnover but rather all just a lot of new additions to their company.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could be reposted for any number of reasons. Promotions, moving on to other projects, high turnover or even company growth.

I know my company constantly has the same set of positions open and for most of the positions, its just because we are constantly growing and need additional staff.

Now the higher up the chain you go, the more assured you can be that its not due to company growth, promotions and the like. If a company is looking for a new CTO, VP or even director every 6 months you can probably safely assume its due to high turnover.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We usually get at least one additional head count every year if the company keeps growing. So that is certainly a possibility. It wouldn't scare me off.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check those post employment boards like glassdoor.com as well. Most of it you can take with a grain of salt but too many grains may require a larger container so to say.

- B Eads
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is one of those things you can ask in the job interview. :)

Like others have said, there could be a lot of reasons why the position keeps coming available.

1) Good growth
    2) Lots of internal promotion opportunities
    3) Crappy work environment with lots of turnover
    4) Not finding good candidates so they leave the position unfilled and try again later or use external staffing
    5) It's a good environment, but people leave for other opportunities because they hit their cap after a couple of years (describes where I work now).
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Certain types of positions are always going to have job listings displayed because they are mission critical or essential to what the company does and any job dealing with hardware support is going to be one of those. On the other hand, a lot of contractors/MSPs run revolving door setups where they bring someone in for a short period of time and then **** them when it comes time to hire them per the contracted agreement, usually around 6 months after coming on board as temp2hire.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is one of those things you can ask in the job interview. :)
    Yes, exactly. I had an interview a while ago and when they asked if I had any questions I asked, "Is this a new position?" The interviewers looked nervously at each other and didn't really answer. I got a very bad vibe and took it as a huge red flag. I ended up getting an offer but declined. I saw that job reposted twice over the next year and I think it was due to high turnover and not growth.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV