Generation 2 modules

dentrydentry Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
When the official v4.0 toplogy comes out, will the Generation 2 modules be sufficient for study ? Im referring to PVDM2, VWIC-MFT2 ect..Any opinions on how will an older AIM-CUE unity express card will work with the new lab ?

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Gen 2 modules = Yes, with the exception of some video topics which would require at least a 29.. and PVDM3-128 (which is still a bit cost prohibitive for a home lab, maybe doable on your employers dime! :) ).

Not much difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen multi-flex cards. Some clocking enhancements, and multiple channel-groups for data on individual ports – none of which should be significant.

The Unity Express GUI has been overhauled since the AIM-CUE, new software only available for the ISM-SRE and SM-SRE flavors.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    pitviper wrote: »
    Gen 2 modules = Yes, with the exception of some video topics which would require at least a 29.. and PVDM3-128 (which is still a bit cost prohibitive for a home lab, maybe doable on your employers dime! :) ).

What about 2 PVDM3-64? *looks around* lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »

I think you need a single 128 for video transcoding no?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »

I just looked on eBay and you're better off buying 1 bigger PVDM3 than 2 smaller PVDM3s, unless you already had them for some reason.

PVDM3-64: $500
    PVDM3-128: $600

2 x 64 = $1,000
    1 x 128 = $600

Either way, that's alot of money. Almost as much as [or in the case of 2 x 64 - more than] the cost of a 2911 to put them in.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • dentrydentry Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow thats some expsensive hardware, thats one way of keeping CCIE numbers down.