Authentication a CORE task?

carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
As I start into Vol II labs I was trying to figure out what was core and what wasn't in my first lab. I saw authentication needed to be configured between a couple of the routers and their BB neighbors. I thought that I didn't "need" authentication for the core to work. In this case, of course, I am wrong. If your neighbor is already configured with authentication, as is the case with the BB routers, you have to configure it or else you will not have connectivity.

If you are configuring it on both the routers then I wouldn't consider it core because connectivity will be achieved if neither router has it.

Sounds simple, yes, but after racking my brain for many hours on other lab parts, it was a bit tired and wasn't considering that when I got to the authentication piece. Lesson learned.

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Core tasks cover things like Layer 2 connectivity and layer 3 interconnectivity.

Non-core tasks are things like port security, QoS. While you won't get full points if you don't configure these - the network will still "work" without them.
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I wouldn't say authentication is a core task.

In theory you should be able to get points if you have the correct routes and so on. However noone knows exactly how the grading works. If you have the wrong network type on a link in OSPF, it may not sound as a big deal but could potentially kill your whole IGP section because you didn't follow the instructions.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Normally I wouldn't either, but if you can't get reachability because of it, it becomes a core task. At least that is how I see it.
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Yeah, if a BB router is requiring auth and you haven't configured it then you are missing routes which basically means you got a very expensive lunch that day.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Yeah, if a BB router is requiring auth and you haven't configured it then you are missing routes which basically means you got a very expensive lunch that day.

LOL, yup