Is my resume okay for Help Desk/PC Technician?

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm applying for help desk positions and PC Tech positions in the Denver area. I'm hoping I can achieve 20 an hour doing one of these jobs. I actually graduate in a few weeks, but I may jump the gun here and start putting in apps right before I graduate (close enough, right?). It's pretty simple, but anyone have any tips on my resume? I got a phone interview today for a PC Tech migrating Win XP systems to Win 7. It's supposed to pay 17 an hour, but the job ends in April. It's an hour drive, but I'm leaning towards taking it unless they try to pay me less since it will be more decent experience under my belt. I'm hoping once I start cranking out apps I can get a better job than that. I don't have any certs yet because I couldn't afford them, but with WGU applying them to my tuition, I will grab some next year.

EDIT: UPDATED RESUME AGAIN

Comments

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My 2 cents... I'm all about presentation, and I don't think your resume is visually appealing. I'd say to try and expound on your experience a little more to get rid of some of the white space. I'd also say to make sure everything is consistent. For example, your 3rd job has bullet points but none of the others do. And you have a line break/space between location and job blurb in all but the last job. Even if you don't change the content, making everything consistent will go a long way.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's great advice! Thank you. I updated my resume to look more consistent and add bullets to all of the jobs.
  • rtjonesrtjones Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you need to add a lot more detail, only 188 words total. You should try to double the word count.

Also, "Winter is Coming" so any "Lannister" should watch out!
  • Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd center your name and contact info, maybe even bold your name. Just the town and state of your location, no need to put the address or you can leave that off. Under that put you technical skills, what you know and have learned, as well what software, os etc you are familiar with. Under that I would put you education and certifications. Under that change experience to work history. Your set up for work history isn't bad, but you need to go into more detail about what you did for each position. You say you provided support for a large banking website and mobile device, that's good, but what about the others you say web browser troubleshooting, java, anti-virus etc. What exactly did you do with those? That's where you need to expand in detail what you did at those positions.
    Thanks again. I updated my name by centering it, making it bold, and eliminating my street address. I will add a little more detail to my bullet points.

@rtjones - a Lannister always pays his debts
  • jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jayskata wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I liked his suggestion about putting a generic title below my name and added that.
    Alright, I updated it again. Thanks for all the advice!

I had a few phone interviews for this job and I'm heading out now with this resume for my final interview with IBM. It's only $16 an hour, but it's a big increase from where I'm at now. It's migrating a large network from XP to Windows 7 and is a contract job that ends in March or April. As you can see, I don't have much experience on paper in that department, so this is actually pretty good. My next job after this should be at a high-level helpdesk job or maybe even a network tech job if I'm able to pull in a cert and get a little hands on LAN experience here.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Alright, I updated it again. Thanks for all the advice!

I had a few phone interviews for this job and I'm heading out now with this resume for my final interview with IBM. It's only $16 an hour, but it's a big increase from where I'm at now. It's migrating a large network from XP to Windows 7 and is a contract job that ends in March or April. As you can see, I don't have much experience on paper in that department, so this is actually pretty good. My next job after this should be at a high-level helpdesk job or maybe even a network tech job if I'm able to pull in a cert and get a little hands on LAN experience here.

Good luck on your journey!!!!
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Good luck on your journey!!!!

Thanks! Interview went great. It was odd though, because the hiring agency said they would call me back this morning. No word from them so I called and they said that they heard from the manager that they really liked me but wasn't sure if I wanted a temp job that ends in March. I must have said to everyone that I'm good with that several times. I was supposed to get another call back but haven't. I don't think it's a case of me being overqualified either because while I have a degree, I don't have any certs or tons of years of experience. So now I'm a little confused.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some of the bigger companies have deployed what I like to call Resume scanning software. The input what they like to see in a candidate into the software and then they scan all the resumes coming in for a said job posting. And the software will select only resume's from candidates that match certain requirements. So to help yourself out, make sure you read the job posting and incorporate skills that match the job posting requirements.

That's my 2 cents on resumes.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA