Options

Certifications for Networking Career?

MustilloMustillo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Just a quick question for those who have had or know good Certifications and starting points for a Career in Networking.
I have been studying CCNA for a couple of months now taking the ICND1 exam in a couple of weeks just finishing up on study, but reading articles recommending basic Certifications like: CompTIA A++ and Network+, are they really necessary if you have CCNA?
And when I do complete CCNA where should I move onto? CCNP? Or gain some other skills like: CompTIA Network +, Linux (LPIC-1) or even Microsoft?
Thanks,

Mustillo

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    CCNA is the standard so you can't go wrong there. You should definitely get it. If you have a CCNA it is arguable how much value a N+ would add. Generally, if you have the CCNA there is no need to go for N+. Your best bet after that is to get experience. A CCNP without experience doesn't have much weight. Microsoft or Linux depends on what you want to do and your job.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Thank you very much, yes I am definitely getting CCNA, what would be the best way to go for experience?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't bother with network+ if you've got your CCNA done before.

You can see about volunteering or job shadowing for some experience.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience means using your knowledge on the job, the problem with having a ccnp and no experience is that, whether you like it or not the market demands a certain pay scale for having that cert.

I wouldn't employ you fresh from uni with a CCNP because i know once you get 1 or 2 years experience on my time, i'd have to give you a large pay rise to keep you.Also it's too easy to **** certs these days and i wouldn't invest my time trying to work out weather your genuine or not.

My advise to anybody starting out is to get a good foundation of everything and don't specialize too much. After your ccna look at microsoft server 2012, learn about active directory, build a web server, play with security certificates, play with dns. Create a lab mixing servers and routers/switches. Look at linux, try some basic scripting bash/perl/TCL, maybe try some simple automation on cisco with the TCL you learned.
    So many things to learn starting out, don't fall down the restrictive cert trap. I know alot of people that don't want to learn something unless it's related to a cert, and then when the cert track is modified they ***** about the new technology added.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Experience means using your knowledge on the job, the problem with having a ccnp and no experience is that, whether you like it or not the market demands a certain pay scale for having that cert.

I wouldn't employ you fresh from uni with a CCNP because i know once you get 1 or 2 years experience on my time, i'd have to give you a large pay rise to keep you.Also it's too easy to **** certs these days and i wouldn't invest my time trying to work out weather your genuine or not.

My advise to anybody starting out is to get a good foundation of everything and don't specialize too much. After your ccna look at microsoft server 2012, learn about active directory, build a web server, play with security certificates, play with dns. Create a lab mixing servers and routers/switches. Look at linux, try some basic scripting bash/perl/TCL, maybe try some simple automation on cisco with the TCL you learned.
    So many things to learn starting out, don't fall down the restrictive cert trap. I know alot of people that don't want to learn something unless it's related to a cert, and then when the cert track is modified they ***** about the new technology added.

WORD. This is good advice. If you have no experience don't for the CCNP just yet. Start with CCNA, find a job in help desk, schmooze with the network guys, and work your way up.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rowelld wrote: »
    WORD. This is good advice. If you have no experience don't for the CCNP just yet. Start with CCNA, find a job in help desk, schmooze with the network guys, and work your way up.

Honestly...this is great advice. Helpdesk the perfect way into a company and then make good with the network team.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA, then a NOC job or any sort of job at a service provider to work your way up. I started in customer service at a service provider (5 of my other friends did as well) and now we all work in Engineering in different roles for the 4G and Core MPLS Network.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Customer Service
    Roamer Support
    Service Technician
    NOC Technician
    NOC Technician II
    Technical Support Engineer
    Data Network Engineer
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    Wow thank you everyone for your words, I honestly think people that use the **** to **** their way through the exam stand no chance, unlike me who likes to learn everything in detail and go the extra mail and reading that little bit more. I've been offered an Apprenticeship for the next 3 years so I will definitely accept it and step into it with a CCNA. :)