First job

Hab007Hab007 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, i recently finished my classes in network administration, I am new the IT Field. I am applying for net admin jobs but no calls all I am getting is call for tech support or call center job mostly what should i do? What will be the best path to take to start my IT career? BTW I do have my CCNA. Thanks

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you don't have any experience no one is likely to hire you for an admin job unless you get on a graduate program or know someone on the inside. You're likely going to have to take one of those tech support jobs to get some experience. Just the way it works.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Hab007Hab007 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    for best experience what is better a tech support on the phone only or in-house tech support?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends really. I'd look at the individual job to make a decision rather than just a blanket statement like that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Check for NOC jobs?

They are not the most MAN I AM LEARNING SO MUCH jobs but you do learn quite a bit of how to find the information you need via commands but the other parts is you usually get more time to further yourself via studying. Like I cranked out CCNP Route in a month because I have so much down time to study.
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    It will be difficult to get a network admin position straight out of school and no experience. There are some employers who will hire on that risk in hopes of training you up but they are hard to find and hard to get into.

The best path is to get into a tech support role to gain experience. Getting exposed to how the business works and how end users interact with applications is very advantageous when you're a network admin. You will make better decisions, both technical and business, when you understand the big picture.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hab007 wrote: »
    for best experience what is better a tech support on the phone only or in-house tech support?
    I have 3 years of helpdesk support over the phone. I keep applying to MSP's for sysadmin jobs. I get to the 2nd interview (this has happened 3 times in the last 2 months) and then they pick somebody else who has more 'hands on' experience.

I get past the HR drones with my experience and certs. I pass the first technical interview with my knowledge, and then somebody wins me over every time. Very frustrating. I'll likely have to take a horizontal move in my career for 1-2 years before I can go vertical again.

Get hands on experience. Just my 2 cents.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
    Thanks guys really appreciated. I actually accept a call center job with an ISP hoping for the best.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I really hope it works out for you at the ISP taking the phone calls. Don't let the customers get to you because they can, especially if you have to do billing. Try to move up and talk to the engineers about things. It might be bathroom talk because you might be busy taking phone calls.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hab007 wrote: »
    Thanks guys really appreciated. I actually accept a call center job with an ISP hoping for the best.

Congrats good luck!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the choice is between in house and remote phone support, I'd pick in house any day.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    Thanks guys, the job is supporting Adsl customer and it is my first Technical job ever... I am really looking to get into networking.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Learn everything you can about your job. Find out what the guys above your know and learn that next to show you can move up. This is immediate so you can make more money and be liked by your company. At home and when you have time go after industry standard stuff like Cisco Pro Level certs, but don't get hung up on the certs themselves. Just learn the material and learn it well. Your payoff will be when you interview and do better than those with a ton of certs, and you will. You'll be more well rounded if you don't just get hung up on cert material and branch out those other things that are relevant.