OSPFv2 config wildcard or interface?

Odom dropped this bombshell in his IPv6 section, that you could configure ospfv2 per interface instead of using the awful 'network + wc mask' command.

So:

router ospf 1
-router-id 1.1.1.1

int s0/0
-ip ospf 1 area 0

Job done. This removes the need to think about inverting the mask, thinking about the network and matching specific interfaces etc and I would imagine save a lot of time in the exam.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do the simlets allow OSPFv2 to be configured this way or can you only do it the network way? And is there any reason why you wouldn't want OSPF to run on all interfaces then just configure the non-router connection interfaces as passive (which I can't do on Boson because it says its CCNP?)...

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Yes.
    Do the simlets allow OSPFv2 to be configured this way or can you only do it the network way?
    As far as I can remember, most don't allow it so learn both ways. Also I like to see all interfaces beeing advertised in one section of the configuration. Learning the interface way will help you for IPV6 routing protocols.
    And is there any reason why you wouldn't want OSPF to run on all interfaces then just configure the non-router connection interfaces as passive (which I can't do on Boson because it says its CCNP?)...
    Passive interface will stop hello's from being sent from the passive interface and not establish neighborship but remember you can still advertise the subnets connected to this interfaces to your ospf neighbors which are connected to your non-passive ospf interfaces.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best practice per CBT Nuggets...passive-interface default...applies to all int's, then 'no passive-interface fa0/1' or whatever interfaces you want neighbors formed. You wouldn't want hellos sent on user facing interfaces.
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something i dont understand, OSPFv2 is not compatible with IPv6, it should be OSPFv3...
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Gngogh wrote: »
    Something i dont understand, OSPFv2 is not compatible with IPv6, it should be OSPFv3...
    What I meant is in IPv6 (so yes using OSPFv3), you can't use the network command under the ipv6 router instance because you define it under the interfaces. So it's a good idea to get used to doing it under the interfaces because once we eventually switch to IPv6 you will be used to it by then.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com