70-410

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all, its been a few years. After 4 years I am going to get back in certification mode:

70-410
70-411
70-412

Study material:
Cbtnuggets with Transcender tests
Windows Server 2012 Unleashed book
Lab:
1 Dell PE 2950 16 gigs of RAM 500 gig partition Quad core
1 Dell PE 1950 8 gigs of RAM 300 gig partition Dual core

What else would you all suggest? I heard the the old MCSE 2003 tests were much harder than the current tests?

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Assuming you'll use technet resources to fill in the knowledge gaps, you're ready to go. You didn't list any type of virtualization platform, I'd be sure to take full advantage of that hardware and go to town labbing in a virtual environment.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I would rather use VM-Ware over Hyper-V for virtualization, but I'd setup one with Hyper-V so you have a feel for it too.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what are people using lab wise? virtual box , workstation ?
  • krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Doesn't really matter what you lab those exams with. I use Hyper-V because it's what we use at work.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    krjay wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter what you lab those exams with. I use Hyper-V because it's what we use at work.

I'm currently studying for the 70-680 and use Virtualbox, but plan to start on the 410 in January, as hyper v is a topic on the 410 should you use Hyper V as a VM platform, if theres no benefit I'd rather stay using Vbox as I only have W8 core(no hyper-v)
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have Windows 8 you do have Hyper-V. You just need to enable it. It is free and easy to use. How to Install or Enable Hyper-V Virtualization in Windows 8
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use hyper-v because it comes on Server 2012. Personally, I can't imagine trying to take this exam without using the OS itself to at least visualize it. It is easy for me because we use Server 2012 and 2008 (even a little 2003 at times in test environments) at work. Hyper-v is even part of the exams. I have a box that I use as the host for my VMs that I use to study with. I also have it on my laptop which is Windows 8. Don't misunderstand, I do think that virtual box and VMware will work fine.
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSSoftie wrote: »
    If you have Windows 8 you do have Hyper-V. You just need to enable it. It is free and easy to use. How to Install or Enable Hyper-V Virtualization in Windows 8

Pretty sure hyper -v is only available on Pro, I tired enabling it and it doesnt appear as a feature.