Options

CCIE v5.0 OCG

IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
Narbik is the co-author of the new two-volume fifth-edition of the OCG for CCIE v5.0 to be released in May, 2014:
Two-volume set
Volume 1
Volume 2
Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Is this to prepare for the written or the lab? I'm thinking it's for the written...
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Probably for the written.

Must be good if it's in two separate volumes.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'll probably pick it up. Not that I expect to be doing the CCIE in the next year or so but I'd like to read ahead and soak in as much as I can
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice one of the authors is Narbik! I'm sure this is going to be great. I really wish that these books would come out sooner icon_sad.gif

P.S: I can't find right now where I read this but apparently these books will cover the lab as well. I'm trying to find the source on where I read this now.
  • Options
    The V4 Written prep guide is around 1100 pages and the 1 book version of this one (v5) is 1400 pages. I highly doubt in 1400 pages they can cover Lab and Written since the Lab workbooks are huge.
  • Options
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/64182

Looks like its a separate book(s) for the lab.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Smart move by Narbik.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This might be wishful thinking on my part - however, do you think they developed the configuration practice labs and troubleshooting practice labs to be used with CML/VIRL?
  • Options
    My thinking is yes @Scales

Now that the whole lab is going to be virtual it shouldn't be a problem even doing these labs in GNS3. For some reason I doubt VIRL will be out by the time these books are released.
  • Options
    I thought that VIRL was going to be released early 2014?

I was more getting at that the books might have a CD that comes with labs that you can load into VIRL?
  • Options
    I wasn't aware of a time frame for the release of VIRL. Only time will tell I guess.
  • Options
    I'll try and find where I read it. Like I said earlier - wishful thinking that these configuration/troubleshooting guides would be made with VIRL.

Edit: This is a blog post about VIRL that says release date will be January 2014 - I know its not officially from Cisco.

http://zahid-stanikzai.com/cisco-virl-virtual-internet-routing-lab/
  • Options
    razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't started studying for ccie yet so obviously going to go with v5. I haven't purchased any materials yet, so does this mean I can't start to study for this until May??
  • Options
    You can do v4 written and lab stuff. Most vendors like INE, IPexpert and 360 will offer the V5 updates for free.
  • Options
    Look at the blueprint and compare which topics are staying and which are leaving. Most topics are still going to be the same. Most of the v4 material is still going to be prevalent in v5.

I plan to jump right into it once I finish the CCNP this month.
  • Options
    DijkstraDijkstra Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As most people have said and even some from cisco sources that the vast majority of the V4 will rollover or be the same as V5. Besides the technology is but the same, the fundamentals and the building blocks remain the same, if you are conformable with the fundamentals of the technology you shouldn't be put off by certain enhancements/changes. All you will need is to just take note of the different sections.
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    You can do v4 written and lab stuff. Most vendors like INE, IPexpert and 360 will offer the V5 updates for free.

This. Just keep aware of the differences in syllabus so not to waste time on say FR / PfR and also lab up stuff not in v4 (IPSEC, DMVPN for example).
    I would also go a lot harder on ipv6. But 70-80% of it should overlap by my reckoning. Heck as a CCNP-Sec I am ROFL - I'll trade v4 for v5 any friggin day .... who likes frame relay.... - meanwhile most of us in real life have plenty of VPN experience - and a whole bunch of nasty topics moved to written - PfR, IPv6 multicast etc.

CCIE R&S Version 5 Updates Now Official

INE will defo update the workbooks for free, I got it in writing from them. The main issue for those of us is our lovely 1800s are now out of date (though how much stuff is there in 15.3 that you can't do in 15.1? not a whole lot I'd imagine), but more to the point, with only 2 routed interfaces and now FR is out of the mix (so not sure how much to use serial ports), labbing becomes harder, also the increased size of the lab. Still I can't imagine a nice stack of 6x1841s and 2x3560s going out of fashion anytime soon :)
  • Options
    My deadline to pay for my v4 slot will be Feb 27th.

Therefore I am going to continue to aim for v4 and see how I am doing on that date. Gives me 8/9 weeks to get through some more material and see where I am. If I'm feeling confident then I'll book everything up. If not, I'll just drop my May lab date and move onto v5.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    [h=2]Shipped[/h]

• 51J2%2BrS72iL._SY100_.jpg
      CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th Edition)

well, damn...
    ordered by dec 17th ;(
  • Options
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    Shipped

• 51J2%2BrS72iL._SY100_.jpg
      CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th Edition)

well, damn...
    ordered by dec 17th ;(
    Its still valid
    You will be able to use for the V5.
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im sure a lot of the info is still valid.. v5 will have the newer items added since..
  • Options
    Honestly I read the v4 OCG and I was very dissapointed after the exam. It touches only very briefly on the topics tested in the CCIE Written. If you read the OCG alone you have NO CHANCE of passing the CCIE Written. I hope the v5 OCG will be more in depth since its from Narbik, but I highly doubt it. They can only write so much information in 1300 pages.
  • Options
    Quite agree. It is useful only as a refresher - it's so high level.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Yea, I'm with you guys. I was also disappointed with the v4 CCIE:R/S books. It was very high too level, pretty much there to tell you of the technology.

This v5 version might be better if it they have spread it across two books. Sadly I'll probably pick up when it's released most likely in kindle format though since it's a little cheaper.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Narbik is known for breaking down technologies piece by piece. If he does this for the 5.0, it would be a steal to get the books at these prices. Of course, I'm just going to wait for it on SafariBooksOnline.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Honestly I read the v4 OCG and I was very dissapointed after the exam. It touches only very briefly on the topics tested in the CCIE Written. If you read the OCG alone you have NO CHANCE of passing the CCIE Written. I hope the v5 OCG will be more in depth since its from Narbik, but I highly doubt it. They can only write so much information in 1300 pages.

Haven't sat the written yet, but THIS +1, I'm around 40% through the v4 OCG and as an experienced CCNP / already read a bunch of other books (routing vol. 1, MPLS fundamentals) this book is teaching me literally nothing at all that isn't in the other CCIE books. Its not even that good a summary and I reckon I'd be better off reading random articles on feature XYZ I've evernoted!!!

Really hope v5 OCG book is good. I'm not sure I'll have the time to have a crack @ the written before June.
  • Options
    SevenplyheartSevenplyheart Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if the v5 Lab books on Cisco Press got posted yet or if anyone cares. I couldn't find them by title search or just by browsing but I did find them by searching the ISBNs. There isn't much to see on the pages now but it may be something to watch.

v5 Config Labs:
    Cisco CCIE Routing and Switching v5.0 Configuration Practice Labs, 3rd Edition

v5 TS Labs:
    Cisco CCIE Routing and Switching v5.0 Troubleshooting Practice Labs, 2nd Edition

v5 Labs Bundle:
    Cisco CCIE Routing and Switching v5.0 Configuration and Troubleshooting Practice Labs Bundle