Options

WTLS and ECC

Joe90Joe90 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently working my way through Darril Gibsons study guide and come across these two security protocols for mobile devices. The book states these are used for interoperability for WPA2 however WTLS is designed to work with TLS encryption which isn't used in WPA2. Is this a mistake in the book?

To confirm are these two security protocols primarily used for secure sites when web browsing? And later mobile devices do natively support WPA2?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Joe90 wrote: »
    The book states these are used for interoperability for WPA2

I don't see where the book states that WTLS is used for interoperability with WPA2. It does mention that smaller wireless devices don't have the same processing power as servers and desktop computers. Instead of using WPA2, many smaller devices use WTLS.
  • Options
    Joe90Joe90 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    I don't see where the book states that WTLS is used for interoperability with WPA2. It does mention that smaller wireless devices don't have the same processing power as servers and desktop computers. Instead of using WPA2, many smaller devices use WTLS.

Hi Darril,

My apologies, interoperability was my own term. I meant that the book suggests to myself that WTLS is used to work with WPA2 and it has just confused me as WPA2 is a WIFI security encryption protocol. However WTLS is part of a WAP protocol, which is for web browsing as far as I'm aware. I just wanted to understand it better as WTLS and ECC are new terms for me.

Many thanks!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    No problem and glad you asked.

Just to be clear. WTLS and ECC are used on many smaller wireless devices, but not used with WPA2.

WAP and WAP can be confusing. The CompTIA objectives list wireless access point (WAP) but do not list Wireless Application Protocol (WAP). With this in mind, I doubt that you'll see the CompTIA Security+ exam refer to Wireless Application Protocol (WAP). Feel free to dig into Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) for your own information, but if it confuses your studies with the Security+ exam, it might be better to focus on only on wireless access point when using the acronym WAP.

Hope this helps.