Options

JNCIA Question (Simple Question)

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
So, here it is... I'm not going to ask you how to set up a lab or what resources are available since they are already in the sticky of the form. I already have Olive working for GNS3. icon_thumright.gif I already have the free materials (PDF, Juniper online courses, and CBT Nuggets). All I basically want to know for those of you that have passed the JNCIA is how long did you study? How long did it take to study for those of you that already held a CCNA/CCNP?

My employer is wanting me to get certified. I don't have really much Juniper experience. We do have access to some of the bigger juniper rigs on the service provider that I'm employed by. I know some basic show commands but that's about my level of experience on the Juniper side.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have the CCNP and a couple olives in GNS3 you can get through this pretty quick. I don't remember the exact amount of time I spent on it, but it wasn't more than a couple weeks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    If you have the CCNP and a couple olives in GNS3 you can get through this pretty quick. I don't remember the exact amount of time I spent on it, but it wasn't more than a couple weeks.

Ok cool. I have one single olive image right now. It's an R.6R1.13 image. Should I have more than just this version? If so, any recommendations? In all honesty, I don't plan on going beyond JNCIA. Unless there comes a time that I would want to go further. I don't work on Junipers too often so I don't see the need to go beyond that for the time being. I just want to satisfy what my employer is asking. Plus if I ever want to move somewhere else within the company having the dual cert will help.
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the JNCIA most of the material is geared around JunOS itself and not a whole lot of protocol info.
    I'd recommend getting something more recent, I think somewhere in the documentation they mention which version of JunOS you will be tested on.
    However 11.4+ is a safe bet.
    If you can commit an hour a day during the week and 2-3 hrs on the weekend, i'd say 2-4 weeks should certainly get you a decent score.
    You can read through all the pdfs on the weekend, but the difficult part is learning the terminology, remembering where everything is and the specific commands & parameters is the difficult part.
    If your good with retention & already understand routing (RIP/OSPF, *some* bgp) then cut that time in half .