I'm Having Trouble Picking a Field/Specification in IT

ZombieNo7ZombieNo7 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been on here a few times a while back, but I was never really serious. I ended up doing something unrelated to IT, but my love of the field has brought me back, and this time I really am serious about breaking into the field. I somewhat recently graduated college with a Liberal Arts degree(don't get me started on the waste of time and money), and that is obviously not helping me get into the computer field. What I hope will, though, is the fact that I've been working with computers as a hobby for over 10 years now. I just don't have any idea as to which fields are the most "open." As in, where is there room to get in? My knowledge is fairly varied, but I have been using Linux exclusively for around 7 years. I know quite a bit about just about every major distro, and have set up plenty of home and small servers. Would getting Linux certs be a good path? What about programming? I've done some Python and Java, and I do like that as well. I am by no means a master, but I'm willing to work at it. I've always been interested in security as well. I don't really have any experience there except for basic anti-virus/securing server knowledge, but it seems interesting. Of the things that I mentioned, is there something that stands out as a real opportunity? I'm willing to invest the time(not working right now) and some money to get to where I need to be. Thank you.

Comments

• JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Don't try to specialize yet. Go work for a smaller company or nonprofit that needs a generalist. Where you want to specialize will come.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you enjoy programming and have used Java, you shouldn't have any problem finding a job, imo. At least where I live, 80% of the job posts are for Java programmers.
  • ZombieNo7ZombieNo7 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually started by looking at more general positions, but I always ended up in the same place. The pay/commute ended up not being worthwhile, as in, I would be better working a retail or similar position. That's why I'm looking to use certification and what knowledge I have to try to start out a something more specialized and a bit better paying. There are a lot of Java jobs here too(by NY), but the requirements for them seem astronomical. Are the requirements posted on Dice.com and the like usually a good judge of what people are being hired with, or are they more towards some lofty ideal?
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Use Java and Linux as your key words in job searches. Look at the postings and see if you could do those requirements. A Linux sysAd would probably be a good fit for you to break into the field. You may be paid less in the begning but you'll climb quick if you work hard enough.
    I have actually been doing those searches. Almost every listing I come across requires a B.S./M.S. in Computer Science and 5+ years experience. This applies to both Java and Linux. To me, those qualifications sound unrealistic, but I don't really know. If I was going to go the Linux route, I think I could manage to get the RHCE in about a month of constant study. I don't know how much of a difference that would make though.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    ZombieNo7 wrote: »
    I have actually been doing those searches. Almost every listing I come across requires a B.S./M.S. in Computer Science and 5+ years experience. This applies to both Java and Linux. To me, those qualifications sound unrealistic, but I don't really know. If I was going to go the Linux route, I think I could manage to get the RHCE in about a month of constant study. I don't know how much of a difference that would make though.

Apply anyway. Worse thing they can say is no.
    I would, but right now I don't have any certs. That's a BIG longshot. I'd be willing to get some, but if my chances of getting a job are nearly non-existent, I don't want to throw hundreds in the trash on certs. Do can a cert like the RHCE take the place of job experience? I have tons of non-professional experience, but that's impossible to document.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    ZombieNo7 wrote: »
    I would, but right now I don't have any certs. That's a BIG longshot. I'd be willing to get some, but if my chances of getting a job are nearly non-existent, I don't want to throw hundreds in the trash on certs. Do can a cert like the RHCE take the place of job experience? I have tons of non-professional experience, but that's impossible to document.

Why not start with RHCSA? RHCE is an expensive test if I remember right.
    RHCSA isn't and is like the CCNA of Red-Hat.

Then try to get a job with that maybe? Save some money, get some income, then go forward.
    You have to take the RHCSA before you can get the RHCE. I just don't know how much weight the RHCSA carries. Like I said the job requirements here are a bit out of control. Because I don't have a CS degree, I don't know how much of a chance I stand without a big time cert like that.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Write up a resume that reflects your non-professional experience and tailor it to the position you're applying for. If you're as convincing and skilled as you say on here then it's possible to get into the interview process (which will be your main hurdle) to blow them away in person. Very tricky things can be done in the hiring process, say forgoing requirements for degrees/certifications/experience if you can demonstrate the necessary skills for the position.
    Okay. Where would I stand the best chance of something like that working? Linux Admin. or Programming? I've also considered the freelance route. I know it's nowhere near as steady, but I know web and app development are often freelanced.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I'd say both are about even on the "off-the-cuff"-ness of doing what I described. They are both fields that individuals can excel in without formal training (school or certs).

There are websites that connect developers and customers for short-term, simple engagements. This would be a great way to help boost your resume and give you more to talk about in the interview process. Here's a website that list the websites I'm talking about, however if someone has personal experience with one of these feel free to chime in

19 Sites to Hire a Developer or Designer » Practical Ecommerce
  • JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Start at the bottom in a small department, and offer to help with bigger projects. When I've worked in departments with less than 10 people, the experience has been incredible. I've found I like Linux administration, networking & voip, and infosec, so I went for my CCNA & Sec+. I learned a lot studying for my CCNA, and did the Sec+ because it was easy resume fodder. I know I like working with those things because I've done enough in generalist positions to get a feel for them.

If you like Linux and programing, try doing web development and administration. It's really easy to get into web development; start by making websites for friends and/or small businesses for free (or cheap), and use that as a profile for bigger or full time jobs.