I have 2 active default gateways, what does that mean?

StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
So, i went into my command prompt just to study and get a feel for it and i noticed both my wireless lan adapter and my ethernet adapter are active with the same default gateway. I checked around and heard that you shouldn't have more than one active. What should i do?
Currently reading Network Warrior

Comments

• SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cmd.exe -> route print

look at the default route and the metric.
  • StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    cmd.exe -> route print

look at the default route and the metric.

Sorry, but could you please explain what it is im looking for?
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In your case it will have no effect you still only have one defined as it is the same. If they were different then you could have issues.
  • StonedHitmanStonedHitman Member Posts: 120
    Ah that makes sense thx, one more thing...since they are the same how do i know which one im using?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    route-print will tell you the gate way that is used.

and under the network adapter settings page, where is shows the adapter you have, hit Alt key and from the menu chose Advanced --> advanced settings..

here you will see the order your network cards are prioritized. you can also swap the order over.

by default the PC will use either the card that is directly connected to a sub-net, then if it needs a DFGW it will use the one on the card highest in this list.

I always put my wired cards first and wired second, but if they are both on the same network it should not matter, will just mean you use the wireless connection in preference to the wired which could be slower/less bandwidth.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.