NOC Technician - Phone Interview

Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

New year... hopefully a new job :) I've been asked to accept a call for a phone interview for a NOC technician/engineers job.

I was hoping people might have sample questions that they've been asked or they have asked to people who are going for similar positions.

I'm currently doing 3rd level desktop support so looking to move away from this towards networking/virtualisation.

Any help would be great.

Thanks. :)
2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What does the job consist of and what do you have on your resume? That is where the questions are going to be drawn from.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What does the job consist of and what do you have on your resume? That is where the questions are going to be drawn from.

Have windows desktop/server support, some basic HP/Cisco switch management and Cisco A/V support (brief summary). In terms of skills outside of enterprise environment, I'm comfortable enough using linux cli.

Phone interview with the hiring manager occurred today. I think it went well and that I answered all corrections correctly. Was asked about IP assignment on a port, port numbers, DNS entries in Linux. Having spoken with the hiring manager, it's a role I would really like to get. It's a lot of linux exposure and there appears to be support for certifications. It's shift work but it would be great exposure high availability infrastucture.

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should get typical "what would you do if you cant reach the host" question.
    Really no right answer but theyll see your thought process.
    Probably some basic IOS and Linux commands.
    10 Killer Interview Questions for Network Professionals
    network administrator interview questions | LinkedIn

Good luck!
    I did indeed also get that question. Answered with ping/traceroute/telnet to host/port. Think it went down ok. Fingers crossed.

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I did indeed also get that question. Answered with ping/traceroute/telnet to host/port. Think it went down ok. Fingers crossed.
    I wouldve thrown in a joke about how its the users fault or something.
    Hope you get it!
    Got called back for on site interview which will be the last stage. I've some prep to do before then but really looking forward to it.

Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Good luck with the interview! Looks like you passed the first hurdle..

Yeah pretty excited about it. Also hoping for a call back from another company who have a big virtualisation infrastructure.

I received another call today for a similar job, HR screening call tomorrow. Unsure as to whether or not it would be a good move but going to take the call anyway.

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good luck. Interviews are so much fun. hah
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never pass up an interview. It's always good practice for when it comes time to interview for a job you really want. There is a lot of people out there that constantly go to interviews even if they love their current jobs just to get the practice.
    It was just a HR screen, went ok I think. Will see if I get a call back early next week. It's another shift based NOC/Datacentre position but in a company in probably top 10 sever farms world wide. The scope of the role may be too narrow at this stage of my career.

Another call up to a video interview for job 2, manager based on west site of the US. Could be an interesting role.

On site interviews went well during the week. Got an offer today. Accepted. So ****ing happy with the new place.

Thanks! Different place, NOC position. 5000 VMs and a heap of networking gear to monitor globally. Good scope for moving to other technical roles.

Cisco, VMware, Red Hat & Windows Server. Quite wide scope but going to continue studying VMware right now (after Linux+ that is).

• cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    pay increase?

Money is staying the same but I'm going from desk side support to the tech I mentioned above, so I'm excited to be getting the experience. I wouldn't have gotten it where I was working unless I moved country.
    cgrimaldo wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thanks!

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Started a few weeks ago. Enjoying it so far although I've not got to grips with much tech as it's been our busiest part of the year. Training should start this week. Staff are nice, as are the facilities. Study needs to pick up so I can keep moving forward. Likely not going to pursue and Microsoft exams anymore as I'm leaning towards the linux/networking/devops side of things.

• networkingsignalnetworkingsignal Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BGP is very important for Network study. We think the BGP study is very interesting according to other network topics because it is having too wide or deep network detail in itself. Main is that if you have not knowledge about the other network protocols or else but you can easily understand BGP. We are telling you about what is BGP, where it use? Why does it use? And which feature of BGP is made him unique from other protocols. 
    Today, all technology based on the network because most people use the internet in the world and that is the best example of the network. So, we are providing some networking blogs like switching & BGP Routing
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited February 2020
    olaHalo said:
    You should get typical "what would you do if you cant reach the host" question.

Call your waiter, Duh!
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.