Options

Pass Thread

zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
I took the Security + exam this weekend. I relied mainly on WGU's Labsim videos and notes. I watched a number of Professor Messer videos on the sections I was weak on from my practice exams. I also used Darril's website for information on the performance based questions.

I had 6 performance based questions and 75 total questions. I have to say, this exam was the most difficult of the CompTIA exams I took. I barely passed with a score of 785. I'm going to WGU for the Software track and am currently employed as a software developer. I feel a bit bummed about my score, but I'm glad that the class is over. I felt the exam question wording was very odd. I was scoring 80s on each of the domain practice exams and 80s to 90s on the overall practice exams.

My advice for others in the future, especially WGU students, use Labsim as a secondary learning method for this exam. Darrill's book seems to have much better success of higher scores. I don't think I got the verbiage down the way the exam wanted using just Labsim. If you use Darrill's book, then use the Professor Messer videos as a supplement to sections you don't fully understand. Between those two, you should be better prepared than Labsim. If I had to do it over again, I would only use Labsim for the practice exams.
WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    congrats of the pass!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    Pass is a pass, regardless on how you scored. What's next?
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Not trying to to be called for Goal Tending the thread.. But, 1. I passed the Security+, now that I got that out of the way. The Labsim/Testout that you speak highly of, prepares you for three (3) exams:
    you will be prepared to take any or all of three separate certification exams:
    • TestOut’s Security Pro Certification exam
    • CompTIA’s Security+ exam (SY0-301)
    • (ISC)2's SSCP exam
    I would in NO shape fashion or form, suggest someone use test out (free or paid for) especially since you get wayyyyyy more information than what is needed to pass the Security+. I personally used the Gibson book solely, Nothing is wrong with other resources, butLabsim is not on my Top 100 list. The Security+ Labsim has command line and quite a bit of other unnecessary information that in no way relates to the Security+ exam, I know because I have the Security+ Labsim..and would vote against it. I would not set anyone up for failure, Its like saying study for 3 exams at once, and 33% of it will be on the actually exam.icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »
    I would in NO shape fashion or form, suggest someone use test out (free or paid for) especially since you get wayyyyyy more information than what is needed to pass the Security+.

I actually said the opposite. I said to not use Labsim.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    zidian wrote: »
    I took the Security + exam this weekend. I relied mainly on WGU's Labsim videos and notes. I watched a number of Professor Messer videos on the sections I was weak on from my practice exams. I also used Darril's website for information on the performance based questions.

I had 6 performance based questions and 75 total questions. I have to say, this exam was the most difficult of the CompTIA exams I took. I barely passed with a score of 785. I'm going to WGU for the Software track and am currently employed as a software developer. I feel a bit bummed about my score, but I'm glad that the class is over. I felt the exam question wording was very odd. I was scoring 80s on each of the domain practice exams and 80s to 90s on the overall practice exams.

My advice for others in the future, especially WGU students, use Labsim as a secondary learning method for this exam. Darrill's book seems to have much better success of higher scores. I don't think I got the verbiage down the way the exam wanted using just Labsim. If you use Darrill's book, then use the Professor Messer videos as a supplement to sections you don't fully understand. Between those two, you should be better prepared than Labsim. If I had to do it over again, I would only use Labsim for the practice exams.

^^^^^^^^
    I would not use Labsim for practice exams either….Felt like I was taking the SAT trying to find the answers for the Labsim/Testout hog-wash
    P.S. Congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Nice job zidian! I personally regard dpsmooth as an expert on how to prep for security exams and am confident that I too will pass very soon by following the recommended methods :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    bull313 wrote: »
    Nice job zidian! I personally regard dpsmooth as an expert on how to prep for security exams and am confident that I too will pass very soon by following the recommended methods :)

I don't disagree with you. It's just that he restated exactly what I said twice while using a tone that regarded my statements as incorrect.
  • Options
    donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a pass is a pass... good deal