Where to start

deathydeathy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

New here so a big hi to you all,

i have been looking around but unsure on what certs i need to study for the MCSA, then what additional i need to upgrade to MCSE.

Im confused as the names have changed so have the roadmaps, but i cannot find anything that shows what i need to study for.

can you please advise on where to start. i would also apreciate if you could point me to any resources that will help me study, i.e books, websites etc.

Thanks for all your help,

Comments

• MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For Microsoft certs start here. IT Certifications | MCP | Microsoft You will still need to decide what path you want to take before anything else can be decided. For example, you stated you want the MCSA. Well you can do that in the desktop OSes (Win 7 or Win icon_cool.gif or you can go the server route (Win Server 2008 or 2012). If you want to follow up and get your MCSE designation you will need to go the server route as the desktop routes are not in that path any longer. There are lots of websites (including this one) and TechNet which are excellent sources of information. On this site look for the posts that were deemed to be made into sticky posts at the top of the list. These are generally agreed to be very good. I like the MS press books. I use both the Exam Refs and the Training Guides. People also like CBT Nuggets and PluralSight videos as well.

This should get you started. Fair warning. I recommend going for the newest certs (Win 8 and Server 2012) but these exams have been recently updated to include 8.1 and R2 respectively and all the material may not be.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. Definitely start by exploring the link MSSoftie provided. From there you can see the different tracks as well as well as exams required for each. What are you looking to tackle? Desktop, server?

Pay a lot of attention of the threads here like "Sticky: 70-xxx Resources". Those are great compilations of links, book reviews, study guides, and other resources that members have used to clear the tests.
  • deathydeathy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info, im looking to go down the server side.

Am i right in thinking i can just start with the MCSA i dont need the MTA ?

so i start with the 410 then 411, 412 ?

how much are the exams and where do i go to sit them.

Thanks for all the help. really apreciated.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You haven't stated what your background, experience, and skill set are so I can't categorically say if MTA exams make sense or not. Generally, I don't see much value in them but some may definitely benefit from them.

Take some time and peruse the Microsoft website linked above. All the info you need is there. For example, if you go to Exam 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 you'll see cost, where to take, etc. At least in the US they are $150. There's also a great offer called Second Shot, where if you fail the test you can take it again for fee. See here: Retake Microsoft Certification Exam for Free | Microsoft.

Another thing is that you can find vouchers on eBay or other sources to take the test for a reduced price. For example, you can find a voucher for $100 that will allow you to take any 70-xx test. Just search for "Microsoft Voucher" and make sure you read all the fine print. expiration dates, etc.
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will want to take the 410, 411 and 412 first. Officially, the order for these doesn't matter and I know some that suggest it is better to take the 411 first. I wouldn't bother with the MTA exams personally. Even if you have NO IT experience you will need to know the material but I am not sure the certs would help you out.

One other thing I want to mention. I believe that you should absolutely have some sort of test machine to work on. You can get a 90 day evaluation copy from Microsoft for free from the site. You can do it physical or virtual but you will need something to see things work, learn the UI, and run a few basic commands. Lots of ways to do this.

I have to run but I can give you more information on this or I am sure that others can do the same.
  • aia87aia87 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what materials you guys recommend for the mcsa 2012 exams ? !!
    with the new R2 update i'm hesitated to start my microsfot studies now
    i have ccna and ccnp and i'm looking forward for mcsa 2012 server cert but unfortunately every post i check i find people complaining about the materials specially books for mcsa 2012 (add now the R2 update)
  • deathydeathy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, I have a lot of IT experience, but nothing on the server side, mainly desktop and website design.

I have a machine I can use for a server, then my main machine I can use for client, can always dual boot so wont be an issue.

how long do you guys study for each exam, before taking the test, I know this will depend on each individual, but don't want to be taking the exams to early.

are they hard to take, i assume its q&a's ? or is there a practical aswell ?

sorry for all the questions, want to make sure i am well prepared before i start, dont want to fall at the first hurdle.

if there is anything else you can advise.

Thanks
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    deathy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I have a lot of IT experience, but nothing on the server side, mainly desktop and website design.

I have a machine I can use for a server, then my main machine I can use for client, can always dual boot so wont be an issue.

how long do you guys study for each exam, before taking the test, I know this will depend on each individual, but don't want to be taking the exams to early.

are they hard to take, i assume its q&a's ? or is there a practical aswell ?

sorry for all the questions, want to make sure i am well prepared before i start, dont want to fall at the first hurdle.

if there is anything else you can advise.

Thanks
    A lot of your questions are answered in other threads, take time to read the forum and search for 70-410 if that's the first exam you're going to take.