CCNP Route PASSED

TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
I just got back from taking the Route exam and man was I surprised. It is one challenging exam that tests you on EVERY single topic covered in the Route book. Let's just say, I barely squeezed by with 30 or so points above the passing mark.

One thing I did learn from this exam is that I need to spend more time on the the details of any Cisco test objective and less on labbing. For the Route exam, I spent much more time labbing and watching videos than I did reading and taking handwritten notes, and I think it hurt me today.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have this test over and done with, and today I begin studying for TShoot.

Does anyone have any advice for Tshoot? I plan on scheduling it 4 weeks out.

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yes, my advice is this: Go take Tshoot now. If you passed your Route and Switch exams legitimately, it's going to be no issue. There is no additional material to study. You just need to be able to troubleshoot what's incorrect in order to pass that exam.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing that, and congrats on the pass!
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    Thanks.

Thanks for the advice, Iris, but after today, there is no way I am going back to the same testing center. I didn't even sit for the exam until 45 mins after my scheduled time. The receptionist said that it was the first time Pearson Vue took on GED testing, and apparently they overbooked. I'm going to schedule it for next Saturday though since I'm in Nexus training all week.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm jealous of your Nexus training! Have fun and good luck with TSHOOT! I'm sure you won't need it through. When you get out of it, you're going to be surprised how easy it was
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations. Like you I agree it was a tough exam, fair play to any one who passes it.

I am hoping to get tshoot done soon to. Maybe not next week though.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Yes, my advice is this: Go take Tshoot now. If you passed your Route and Switch exams legitimately, it's going to be no issue. There is no additional material to study. You just need to be able to troubleshoot what's incorrect in order to pass that exam.

+1 on taking ASAP. I passed ROUTE 2 years ago and passed SWITCH 2 weeks ago.. I am taking TSHOOT next Tuesday. I originally had it scheduled for the 26th. but after constructing the lab per the topology, I can't wiat to get to the testing center! Just study the topo until you know it cold, having it memorized will help for sure. Also make sure to watch Kevin Wallace's TSHOOT video's on Youtube.

Good luck and congrats on the pass, ROUTE was a beast!!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • mp3markelmp3markel Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you say the candidate needs a firm grasp of IPv6 in order to pass CCNP Route?
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    TBickle wrote: »
    I just got back from taking the Route exam and man was I surprised. It is one challenging exam that tests you on EVERY single topic covered in the Route book. Let's just say, I barely squeezed by with 30 or so points above the passing mark.

Congrats!
    I am taking TSHOOT on Saturday myself (2 weeks after Switch).
    I heard it is pretty fun actually. Just isolate the issue then find what is wrong.
    mp3markel wrote: »
    Would you say the candidate needs a firm grasp of IPv6 in order to pass CCNP Route?
    Yes, you dont need to know how it works inside and out but I got quite a few questions on it.
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck on SWITCH!
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
    Thanks, Brum. As for Switch, I knocked that one out 5 months ago and had been studying for Switch since then. I plan on taking Tshoot this upcoming Monday, and hopefully it's as easy as everyone says it is.

Note to anyone else reading this post, Kevin Wallace has some really good YouTube Tshoot Videos.
    Thanks, John. I've actually been watching and rewatching Wallace's Video's as well as memorizing the typology. I feel really confident about this test, so I'm hoping for a pass.
    Thanks, Markel, like kohr-ah said, you probably don't need to know every tiny bit about IPv6 but I definitely do more than just glance at it.

As for myself, I put off IPv6 until the very bitter end of my study, and then dedicated a whole two weeks to it. For me, it wasn't important just for this test, but for every future certification I take too. That's why I spend two weeks on it. I read the syllabus for other certs i plan on earning and they all seem to have IPv6 on them, so I told myself to just hunker down and read and reread it until it sank in. Let's just say it came in very handy.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63