My latest VMware Cert

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□

Stock Certificate that is.

Quote at the bottom is: "We all live every day in virtual environments defined by our ideas." - Michael Crichton

It was something that I came across while surfing for unique Christmas gifts. My nephew is a diehard Volkswagen fan so he got the Volkswagen stock. VMware is a custom stock and cost about $200 with everything you see here (Certificate, frame, matte, and engraving. Gum not included). Head over to this website if you want one as well.

GiveAShare | Custom Stock | Buy Just About Any NYSE / NASDAQ Stock As A Gift
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $125 just for the frame seems excessive.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't expect it to rise too much though. VMware has only risen 4.75% (annualised gain) over the entire life of the stock so far (~6.5 years old). Microsoft & Cisco too, are only great stocks if you got in at the start (~25% annualised gain) - these days not so much.

You want stocks like Sprint Nextel, Mastercard, Visa, Salesforce, Twitter & LinkedIn. Research these and you will see what I mean..
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very nice and definitely a conversation piece that'll set the tone for any room. I haven't seen VMware's price stock since it was listed under EMC (2008, i think). While I'd be hesitant to put my money on VMware stock, it has the potential to grow beyond what it's known for. I'd personally go with the Netflix'es, Amazon's, dividend-paying stocks with a good reputation and especially cybersecurity firms. Hope you make lots of $ this year!
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    $125 just for the frame seems excessive.

The $125 isn't for the frame only. There are rules the seller has to follow. They are not allowed to sell more than one share of stock. They have to charge twice the amount of the stock price. This is to discourage people from buying multiple shares for investment purposes. It is a pain to manage paper stock. If you look at Amazon, Google, and Chipotle the price is stupidly high.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Don't expect it to rise too much though. VMware has only risen 4.75% (annualised gain) over the entire life of the stock so far (~6.5 years old). Microsoft & Cisco too, are only great stocks if you got in at the start (~25% annualised gain) - these days not so much.

You want stocks like Sprint Nextel, Mastercard, Visa, Salesforce, Twitter & LinkedIn. Research these and you will see what I mean..

I have a separate stock portfolio that I use for investments. I didn't purchase this for investment. I purchased this because I like VMWare, I hold multiple certs with them, It is different, It is a large aspect of my primary job, it looks better then their current VCP certs, and it's a cert I didn't have to take a test for.

Think of it as, what do you get somebody who has everything, but happens to be a big Harley Davidson fan (for example).
    Currently Studying:
    jaywalker wrote: »
    Very nice and definitely a conversation piece that'll set the tone for any room. I haven't seen VMware's price stock since it was listed under EMC (2008, i think). While I'd be hesitant to put my money on VMware stock, it has the potential to grow beyond what it's known for. I'd personally go with the Netflix'es, Amazon's, dividend-paying stocks with a good reputation and especially cybersecurity firms. Hope you make lots of $ this year!

This wasn't intended as an investment, hence the one share purchase.
    Currently Studying:
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for posting.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    azjag wrote: »
    The $125 isn't for the frame only. .

I must read this wrong then:
    $125 SALE + MARKET PRICE of stock
    NOTE: Price does not include stock. Your credit card will be billed for price noted + current market price of stock selected.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    I must read this wrong then:

You need to dig deeper:
    Your stock price is different from the current quote on the stock? The price on these publicly traded companies is constantly changing. We generally update our prices once a week (more often if the market is volatile). Note that our prices reflect the stock price, our fees, and any other fees required to register the stock as well as any adjustments necessary to meet SEC pricing requirements.

Our normal fee is $39 but some things can cause this to be higher: 1) custom orders - where the stock is not on our list of 100+ companies 2) our price includes a pass thru of transfer agent fees if applicable (zero on most) Here are some stocks that have transfer agent fees included in our price: Activision, Carroll Shelby, Coach, iRobot, Smith & Wesson, Disney, Medical Marijuana Inc. martha Stewart, and CSX and 3) where the price must be higher to comply with the SEC requirements (the SEC requires that our price be 2x the market price of the stock) - this requirement only comes into play on higher priced stocks.

Or go to this part of the website and read it for yourself.
    Frames | GiveAShare
    Currently Studying:
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I think it is pretty cool!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    Wow, talk about bringing a thread back from the dead ;). It is definitely a conversation starter when people see it next to my other vmware certs. They ask what product it is for and when vmware changed the certificate design.
    Currently Studying: