Current CISSPs, Let's talk about CPEs.

jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
Curious about what you all are doing for CPEs? I'm not in school at the moment, so I'm looking at the eSymposiums and other methods to meet my yearly requirements. Does anyone here write articles or book reviews?

What do you all do? icon_confused.gif:
CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.

Comments

• jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jayc71 wrote: »
    Curious about what you all are doing for CPEs? I'm not in school at the moment, so I'm looking at the eSymposiums and other methods to meet my yearly requirements. Does anyone here write articles or book reviews?

What do you all do? icon_confused.gif:
    \
    There are plenty of stuff you can do:
    You can read the ISC2 magazine (5 CPEs)
    I joined the ISSA and they have plenty of webcasts you watch them and then submit them with a proof from ISSA
    You can also attend the ISSA meetings (is great for networking and to learn new stuff)
    http://www.secureworldexpo.com/<-- here are some of the previous web conferences that you can use to submit as CPEs...
    Book reviews is another way I guess i 5 cpes maximum per year? not sure...
  • jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jm0202 wrote: »
    \
    There are plenty of stuff you can do:
    You can read the ISC2 magazine (5 CPEs)
    I joined the ISSA and they have plenty of webcasts you watch them and then submit them with a proof from ISSA
    You can also attend the ISSA meetings (is great for networking and to learn new stuff)
    http://www.secureworldexpo.com/<-- here are some of the previous web conferences that you can use to submit as CPEs...

ISSA has a local chapter, looking into it now. Thanks! This is what I'm interested in, finding new stuff I can get involved with that will also count as CPEs.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
    I calculated that earning about 3.5 cpes a month you will be fine to fulfill 120 cpes in three years, so in that case you can watch a webminar (2 cpes) and listen to a podcast of 1.5 hours... Or a 2 cpe webminar and a ISSA (2 cpes) meeting every month.
    jayc71 wrote: »
    ISSA has a local chapter, looking into it now. Thanks! This is what I'm interested in, finding new stuff I can get involved with that will also count as CPEs.

Also.. now there are ISC2 chapters... check in the ISC2 page and check if you have a chapter near you... I found their dues are way cheaper than ISSA's
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    jm0202 wrote: »
    I calculated that earning about 3.5 cpes a month you will be fine to fulfill 120 cpes in three years, so in that case you can watch a webminar (2 cpes) and listen to a podcast of 1.5 hours... Or a 2 cpe webminar and a ISSA (2 cpes) meeting every month.

This is where most of mine come from.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I'm doing WGU (MSISA) so that gives me quite a few hours to work with, as well as studying for other certs. I'd probably just make the hike to a security related conference (from SANS, ISC2, etc) and get them that way as well.
    emerald_octane: MSISA will give you 120 cpes ... if you can spread that in 3 years will be perfect... however... I finished the MSISA in 1 year... I still have to have 20 cpes per year
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started volunteering as a mentor for the Cyberpatriot program and I claim the instruction hours. You could look to see if there's a local school that's participating and volunteer some time. :)
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jayc,

I get my CPE's from some InfoSec seminars, webinars, and attending ISSA and HTCIA chapter meetings. I also listen to some Podcasts like Security Now.
    In addition, I have presented at some groups.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you live in a bigger city and have the time, a great deal for a few CPEs is vendor sponsored lunch and learn events. You get a nice steak lunch at a premium restaurant while getting 2 CPEs. I did two in February and have 3 lined up for March. I'm getting spoiled.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Attending conferences, seminars, symposiums, and training will pile up the CPEs pretty quickly. I claim 24 CPEs each year just from my annual jaunt to DEFCON alone.
  • joebannyjoebanny Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I earned 5 domain related (category A) CPES reading the security magazine at the this site: Earn CPE credit with SearchSecurity.com and (ISC)2. After reading, there, you're required to answer a few questions.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    I'm trying to get tickets for DEFCON this year. Let's see how that goes. :)