My first CCNP post!

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I completed my CCNA last year in September. I currently do not work in networking and work as a web designer wannabe Network Engineer! Completing my CCNA was great and loved every minute but the area where I live has 0 networking jobs, i've been searching for over a year :/ So I sort of got sidetracked with MCSA in order to get some sort of IT job...

Anyway, I had some news recently that I can now relocate to a big city, so I made the decision to drop my MCSA and focus back on Networking!

My plan is to restudy my CCNA for the next 2 months as a refresher, Then in May I will be reading Network Warrior which I bought a while back. Come June I will start on my CCNP. We make the move in September so I figured starting CCNP would look good for potential employers and show my motivation.

I know a few people don't agree on doing CCNP before work experience which is also a reason I did not start after September but I feel I could get a good head start and I will not actually be a CCNP in September, just 3 months in.

So I will be hanging around this subforum soon and just thought I would say hello as you will be hearing a lot more from me soon :)

My goal for this year is to complete the Route exam by the end of the year.

Look forward to starting!

*Oh actually 1 question. Would I be ok buying the books now for the exams or do they change like CCNA did last year? Just to save a bit of cost early on... Also any suggestions on books or resources? Thanks!

Comments

• mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club. I wouldn't personally buy the books this early out if I were you. It has been a while since cisco update the CCNP exam, so who knows when they will change it? I wouldn't want to be a month into my studies, then find out the exam will change in 3 months. I would wait until a few weeks before you are ready to commit to studying before I bought the books
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah but even if they do change the exam, the current books won't be a waste, and you can learn all the new content online.

How do you think I feel with the CCIE change? ;) Learn to adapt, that's what makes you a great network engineer.
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually just remembered, I did the old CCNA exam before it changed over, do I need to learn anything more before the CCNP?
    HSRP, GLBP, VRRP, multi-area OSPF. Uhh, maybe some others, but you would have to check the syllabus
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Theres nothing wrong with getting the books and starting your reading / initial studies. Network Warrior is a great book. It delves into topcis well outside of NP which is good knowlege to have. I actually read it before reading a CCNP book as well. If the exam content changes so be it. I say change when you know there is change coming until then study on what you have available to you.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Agreed that being able to adapt to change is very important, but if he doesn't even plan to start studying until later in the year then why bother buying books that could be considered old or obsolete before he even cracks them . Just my $.02. The books that are aligned with the current exam do have some pretty good information though. You could even get the kindle versions if you want the play on the safe side, since they are so cheap.
    Ya i'd definetly would buy the books only in a time when you are ready to start studying. No sense in buying them to let them collect dust.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    My main reasoning was because I've got to relocate around August which could use most my money so was just planning ahead really. But if its unknown if the exams will change or not I will hold out. I've already got Network Warrior and don't plan on starting CCNP till actually May/June. Thanks for the info from all already, very useful. Really looking forward to getting back into it all.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    HSRP, GLBP, VRRP, multi-area OSPF. Uhh, maybe some others, but you would have to check the syllabus

This is one thing I was wondering as well but hadn't inquired about yet - Are these subjects touched upon in the current CCNP material, or should I backtrack to the CCNA level R:S to brush up on these topics?

I did the old exam as well before the update, so I haven't touched any any of those subjects yet.
  • late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    I haven't started the ROUTE book yet, but HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP are definitely in the SWITCH material. I wouldn't bother backtracking for FHRP's.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Wallpaper_01,

Nice to see another person from the UK on the forum! Not seen many of us :)

Congrats on the CCNA pass and welcome to the forums! I'd say purchase the books now. What I started doing (before christmas) was get the route book and read it through once.

After Christmas I have taken it more serious, taken lots of notes and also started watching CBT and INE videos. I highly recomment using these!

Good luck!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    Just like most topics in the CCNP that were on the CCNA. They touch on the basics, so completely backtracking and learning them isn't really necessary. Just skim a couple pages, or watch a video just to grasp the basic concepts you may have missed.
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Hi Wallpaper_01,

Nice to see another person from the UK on the forum! Not seen many of us :)

Congrats on the CCNA pass and welcome to the forums! I'd say purchase the books now. What I started doing (before christmas) was get the route book and read it through once.

After Christmas I have taken it more serious, taken lots of notes and also started watching CBT and INE videos. I highly recomment using these!

Good luck!

Hello!

Yeah its sort of strange there are not more from the UK, I've seen a few but not many, yet all jobs require the certs so would have expected more UK guys on here. I'm going to get some books I think. I've created a blog as a summary of what I learned that week sort of thing, and suppose it could help others, not making it public though till I have a few posts though!
    Just like most topics in the CCNP that were on the CCNA. They touch on the basics, so completely backtracking and learning them isn't really necessary. Just skim a couple pages, or watch a video just to grasp the basic concepts you may have missed.

Yeah, I'm going to watch danscourses on youtube for CCNA, there are a ton of videos and labbing practice but I finished CCNA in September but feel like I want a CCNA refresher first before I start CCNP and I'm going to give Network Warrior a read and hopefully thats all going to lead me into CCNP.
    One thing you may consider to if you start your Route studies and get the exam completed before Cisco releases news for a new test they generaly offer exemptions for people who have parts already compelted. We should have a pretty good advanced notice if / when they do this as well. I assume it is coming soon though because IE and NA have both gotten revamps.