When one call manager is not enough, what do you do?

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
You add a second one of course :) To learn about dial peers

Basically trying to figure out the relationship or connection between the two branches, right now I just have two 2811 connected together using using fe0/1 interfaces. fe0/0 are trunk ports , running different vlans/subnets for the two 2 branch offices.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/srnd/design/guide/cmesrnd/multcme.html
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice! Addictive isn't it ;)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    It truly is, because I have no experience in this voice background and I learn by doing better than just book theory . Now, I did purchase about 4 books on Voice/VoIP to get me up to speed.
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Use 2 CMEs or use 1 CME and 1 Callmanager or use 2 CMEs and 1 Callmanager and one branch that uses Callmanager,

or use 1 CME and 2 Callmanagers in a cluster, or.....

or you can go the Pitviper route which is what I would like to do but can't afford.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Pretty cool setup. I have 3 Cluster now but you can't tell the difference from looking at my lab.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Jollycork - you mean CME or 2 CME + CUCM in VM basically? That black rack mount case is my Esxi 4.x host, but it's pretty low on ram (8gb until I build a new host) so I've just been getting my feet wet with the older version of CME running in router ios basically.

shodown - nice! I am not there yet!
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    JeanM wrote: »
    Jollycork - you mean CME or 2 CME + CUCM in VM basically? That black rack mount case is my Esxi 4.x host, but it's pretty low on ram (8gb until I build a new host) so I've just been getting my feet wet with the older version of CME running in router ios basically.

shodown - nice! I am not there yet!

You can use CME on the routers [1 or 2 or 3 or however many you want] and have CUCM and connect them all together over the WAN [I use Frame Relay] . CUCM just needs to know how to route calls to CME. The CME's can call each other and CUCM through dial peers over the WAN [I use frame relay]

and you can have a remote site that doesn't run CME but connects to CUCM over WAN [I use frame relay] with a different extension number [as well as access Unity].

Plus there's other possible scenarios you can setup. Access to POTS or create your own POTS [some use the Atlas Adtran, some use routers with FXS/FXOs ].

From some of your posts your doing SIP out to POTS using a SIP provider, if you have a large organization with multiple sites, the sites need POTS access so you can do that either through local site POTS or central HQ POTS and then there's failover. So you can try all of that.

As far as servers for running CUCM VMs I use more than one. Servers can be purchased inexpensively, so a 8GB server with Quad processor can run 2 VMs [plus host][2 GB per VM plus 1 core per VM]. and you can run CMCU pub/sub, Unity, UCCX, Presence, and maybe another or just a tower for AD integration with CUCM.

And if one has the money put Unity Express on CME.

There's a lot of different types of configurations that can be done in the lab. I use Frame Relay to connect everything but most use VWIC-1/2 MFT-T1s to connect everything up.

Most follow the certification track but there's real world application that doesn't necessarily follow the certification track configurations. Some small businesses still use a PBX [to cheap to upgrade] but then one can put Asterisk PBX in a box on the network. Some small businesses still use faxes, so hook that up.

Some want AD integration, some want caller ID or DID, some want Jabber, ... and then there's the phones themselves.

Might want to pickup a 7970 so you can create backgrounds [or a 7965 I think you can customize the background].
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    That's a nice rack Jean. If you don't mind me asking, did you pick out and buy all of that gear yourself or do you get your gear at work?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    I remember setting up CCM 4.1 on a laptop can that still be done? Had to do some Reg tweaks to make it think it was running on a IBM server was pretty easy.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
    ehnde wrote: »
    That's a nice rack Jean. If you don't mind me asking, did you pick out and buy all of that gear yourself or do you get your gear at work?

Hi, it's been an on-going process of finding good deals on eBay and local craigslist over the course of a year or so now :) Started with some 26xx / 2950 series then when I passed ccna cert I sold a few items to purchase newer models. The vmware host I've wanted to build for a long time, as it helps with even working on issues at work when I need a clean machine to dupe an issue / capture logs etc.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's my lab, I built it up slowly over two months.

From top to bottom and yes I know cable management!

A 2600 with an nm-1v module so I can have a usable 2FXS port.
    Next is a 2611 and is my primary router. I won't list all the cards as I have everything needed for voice there.
    Below that is the standard 3550 switch.
    Lastly is another 2611 which was supposed to be my PSTN simulator and I've had less luck with this one.
    Also two 7960 phones as well.

My PC is a gaming one so i7, 3.4 GHz 16 gigs ect... I could run 6 instances of call manager on it and still have RAM to spare. For just this lab I think a person could get by with a used 400 or 300 dollar laptop.

I hope to keep on building on this lab and that I'll be advancing in Voice in the next few years.
    I need to get me some fxs/fxo cards to play with one of these days.

Here is my full cisco/vmware lab + nas storage box.

jeanm-albums-cisco+-+vmware+lab-picture4976-2014-lab.jpg