Getting killed without certs

onusonus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently hold no certification. I just graduated college with a associates in computer network technology in December.

I had previously been working a part time job at my town. We managed over 250+ users as well as all the schools in town. We were quite a small department so one day i could be doing desktop support, the next i could be building a server, or working with vendors, or planning a filling paper work for a fiber optic route. I was a quick learner and my boss relied on my more than some of are full time people (words from his mouth not mine).

I just ran into someone the other day. They said that they need to re-hire me because they need "help". Common thing I've been hearing the last few months. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sadly i got laid off in January. On top of that my job title never did justice to what i did. It was just intern. It was a payed position.

The only jobs i'm getting bites on are help desk jobs. I do have plenty of recommendations but that wont help me get in the door.

So what certs should i start getting so i can prove to people i have knowledge in area other than just providing help desk?

I will be taking one of these jobs on a temporary basis so i can have some income again to get my certifications. I am also planning to go back to school full time since i plan to further my education anyway.

Comments

• NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    For Helpdesk I would suggest starting with the A+ and for a Microsoft cert maybe MCTS. What kind of work would you prefer to get into?
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    what do you want to do? If you want something above the regular help desk
    Get some MS certs for a desktop support
    or net+/ccent for a Noc help desk position
    Then move from there
    meh
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends on what you want to do:

Systems/Network Administrator: I would recommend Microsoft/Cisco certs: (MCSA/CCNA) or maybe (RHCSA/RHCE) if you plan to specialize in Linux instead of Windows or maybe a more pure networking role then I would say Cisco/Juniper (CCNA/JNCIA).
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    @onus I've been in this position before and it really sucks. I was working for an ISP that didn't push certs at all. I had tons of experience, but when I went searching for my next gig it was really hard to get past headhunters with no certs. My advise would be to start "collecting" certs. Start with low lying fruit first and then expand on that with the more difficult certs. Having certs isn't the best judge of someones experience, but it does get you into the door to have a discussion on said experience. And I'm sure you know it's much easier to test for certs when you have incoming coming in. The period when I couldn't find work was a serious motivation for my work ethic going forward in my career.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like a lot of people already mentioned it depends on what you want to do. Since you have a networking background I would consider the CCNA personally.
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I agree with getting your CCNA it really is one of the best certifications you could possibly get. It really opens up all kinds of doors and has a huge return on investment.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with getting your CCNA it really is one of the best certifications you could possibly get. It really opens up all kinds of doors and has a huge return on investment.

I'm hoping so!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA would be the best one to go after. For systems work, then consider getting Microsoft certs starting with the low hanging fruit and moving onto a higher level cert with them.

The objective is to get some certs as fast as possible, hopefully using info you already know from your experience. I would not waste any time with CompTIA, go right for a couple easy Microsoft certs from the get go to get something on your resume. I think the CCNA is very valuable, but may be more time consuming then completing one Microsoft certification to get things started. Then maybe pursue the CCENT....
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • onusonus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I'm going to resurrect my long dead thread. I ended up getting a part time job doing Desktop Support shortly after i posted this thread. It's a bit too easy but, its what i got and it paid better than what i had before. Though i do spend lots of cash traveling.

Anyway I'm getting back on the cert track. Think of doing a ccna right now. The new microsoft mcsa stuff seems to be lacking on the documentation from what I've seen. All the ccna type material is still fresh in my mind from college and should get me in the door.

I'm also back to school working on bachelors part time.
  • dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    onus wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm going to resurrect my long dead thread. I ended up getting a part time job doing Desktop Support shortly after i posted this thread. It's a bit too easy but, its what i got and it paid better than what i had before. Though i do spend lots of cash traveling.

Anyway I'm getting back on the cert track. Think of doing a ccna right now. The new microsoft mcsa stuff seems to be lacking on the documentation from what I've seen. All the ccna type material is still fresh in my mind from college and should get me in the door.

I'm also back to school working on bachelors part time.
    You need a LIFETIME ban from this forum icon_cheers.gif In 8 months you have not decided what cert track you will be on, and have not obtained a cert yet?? Do you get on Techexams when you need someone to talk to or what? We try to help those, who are willing to help themselves FIRST and dont use the job or icon_profileright.gifpart timeicon_profileleft.gif bachelors as a excuse. WIth those 2 posts!
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome back! That CCNA shouldn't take you too long - read through the official certification guide and watch some CBT Nuggets videos and you will ace it.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ really now? lol
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »
    You need a LIFETIME ban from this forum icon_cheers.gif In 8 months you have not decided what cert track you will be on, and have not obtained a cert yet?? Do you get on Techexams when you need someone to talk to or what? We try to help those, who are willing to help themselves FIRST and dont use the job or icon_profileright.gifpart timeicon_profileleft.gif bachelors as a excuse. WIth those 2 posts!

Wasn't using it as an excuse just updating people. Yeah i should have posted but, didn't. Can't go back in time now.

So how about a fresh start?

Anyway, i plan on the using the book and GNS3 to refresh all of the IOS commands and such and to do some labs.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Life happens. I'm glad you're getting back on the cert track!

Also, very good that you took the desktop support job and are back in school to continue on to a bachelors. icon_thumright.gif
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why don't you "modify" your job title from previous jobs? As long as you can do the work, who cares what you call it? Maybe they called it an intern, but maybe it would be closer to a network admin. I never had any problem doing that to get into an interview.

Good luck on the certs. I have just an associate's at the moment also, but I don't have quite as much experience. I'm starting WGU in a week also though, so hopefully the certs from there help out in conjunction with a Bachelor's.
    Thanks its good to be back in school.

My last job really screwed my school schedule up. I was supposed to get a full time job there so i setup my schedule to do so. Director changed and i didn't get the job.

markulous wrote: »
    Why don't you "modify" your job title from previous jobs? As long as you can do the work, who cares what you call it? Maybe they called it an intern, but maybe it would be closer to a network admin. I never had any problem doing that to get into an interview.

Good luck on the certs. I have just an associate's at the moment also, but I don't have quite as much experience. I'm starting WGU in a week also though, so hopefully the certs from there help out in conjunction with a Bachelor's.

That would work except many places here will check all your work history. Like this job, i even had to list when the stupid people switched me over to a temp agency for 6 months and switched me back to an employee. They called everyone. I also had to provide w2 form, pay stubs. It was quite annoying. If i ran into that again i would be screwed.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I still think the CCNA makes sense. A nice certification that can help open doors and since networking seems to be your thing go for it!
    N2IT wrote: »
    I still think the CCNA makes sense. A nice certification that can help open doors and since networking seems to be your thing go for it!

My thought exactly. Plus its a new challenge. I love challenges, that my current problem I'm not challenged enough.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dpsmooth15 wrote: »

My goodness, you need a chill pill. It's hard to be angry all the time.

OP - Good luck and welcome back.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Good luck doing it, I am finally working on my A+ after getting a book and making my way as well.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+