Curious about you CCIEs! :)

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm just curious about you CCIE cert holders how many of you went strait into CCIE studies after obtaining NP level certs. To word that more specifically... How many of you never chased after any other outside of Cisco field of study and only held to your Cisco roots?

Just a fun little statistical question...
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    Interesting question, Daniel. I'm really curious about this too. I'd say all of the old schoolers immediately went for their CCIE since there weren't many Cisco paths back then as there are now.

Anyhow, I'm interested in hearing the results. Let us know guys/gals!
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm not a CCIE yet, but did my CCNP back in 2010, CCNA at the end of 2008.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not even close to attempting CCIE. However I jumped right into the training after my CCNP. I figured it could only make me a better engineer since I do R/S work day in and day out. Ideally I would like to be CCIE in two years.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would think that job roles carry a lot of weight in the question. I know a lot of my day to day tasks are mixed with R/S items as well as other related technologies involving Juniper, Citrix / F5 Load Balancers, Riverbed, even a little bit of voice and firewall. Personally I'd love to stay on a Route / Switch focus but there are so many other aspects to high level networking I don't think it will be a good idea for me until I master some other areas.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well to be honest a CCIE is well above my current job. But then I am not looking to stay in this current role once I'm finished.

Hell, I may not even stay at the same company. Will all be down to how the variables are adjusted once I've got the digits...
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well to be honest a CCIE is well above my current job. But then I am not looking to stay in this current role once I'm finished.

Hell, I may not even stay at the same company. Will all be down to how the variables are adjusted once I've got the digits...

Definetly something to consider. CCIE is well beyond my current job roles. To be honest it really isn't applicable for any Operations roles in my company. I beleive we only have a couple SMEs that have it.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did the MCSE and CCSP in parallel as I needed both for my job at the time, finished the Msoft first but then went straight from the CCSP into the IE track exclusively. Strike while the iron is hot.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went ccna->ccda->ccnp->ccdp->ccie with no deviation. Although I was often tempted based on my work and interest with other vendors and technologies.
  • razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EMcCaleb wrote: »
    I went ccna->ccda->ccnp->ccdp->ccie with no deviation. Although I was often tempted based on my work and interest with other vendors and technologies.

It looks so logical when you look at it like that.

I'm a bit in 2 minds about my path towards ccie. I completed my ccnp in December and thought id go straight onto ccie but my problem is a lot of the jobs im seeing even for ccie's all require some othe knowledge or certs eg security (checkpoint and palo alto seem popular) or voice etc,

Also Juniper knowledge is asked for on lots of the jobs I see.

So ive decided to go for ccna sec and then jncia. After that I hope to work towards ccie. Does this seem like a backwards way to do things?
  • simon_ccie_spsimon_ccie_sp Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMHO preparing for ccie itself matures one for more technologies as access to IOSXR makes it not too hard to understand Junos. Also the difference is syntax, but the best thing is to understand the technology.

Having said that, it is good for one to be an all round Network Engineer, meaning yes press for that ccie, but also touch some junos and try to understand systems side like linux, unix/freebsd. Days are gone when you were a pure Networks guy without knowledge on systems side.

./simon
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    2008 - CCNA
    2010 - CCNA Security
    2011 - CCNP
    2011 - CCIP
    2012 - CCNP SP (just did the 2 exams to get the conversion over)
    2013 - CCIE Written, Attempted Lab (failed icon_cry.gif)

Did some other Juniper certs throughout that time as well and was a network admin from 2008 - 2010 then an engineer from 2011 to present.

Will eventually retake the CCIEv5 lab when it arrives