No textbooks for CCNP-Wireless?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
So there are no Cisco books for the CCNP-Wireless track? I only see the quick reference guides, which are good but far from comprehensive. I think this is the only track I've ever seen that doesn't have textbooks to study for it. For someone who is wanting to study wireless without having any hands-on experience, a no-textbook track certainly gives one pause. The QRGs have good info, but they don't ease you into the material; they just tend to drop the house on you all at once and without the witty charm of the Cisco authors. IMHO, not the best way to learn for someone just starting out (after the CCNA-Wireless, of course).

Wouldn't it be a better idea before Cisco introduces a new track to already have the textbooks ready and waiting for those wanting to pursue it? It's not like they don't have the resources. The way it is, they play the just-be-patient-they-ll-be-out-soon game. I'm not a product manager, but if I were put in charge I'd sure structure it to be ready to go out of the gate. And I think this way would sell more books, as well as generate more interest in the track, having the materials ready to purchase from Cisco Press.

Okay - a little steam vented.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Usually only the more popular tracks ever get dedicated Cisco Press books. I guess you wireless guys are in the same boat as the Service Provider guys. You have to either take the official course and get the materials, or piece together from books not written specifically for the exams.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just hope these tests are passable with the available materials and with no hands-on experience (outside a home lab). I'll bet the people passing the NP-Wireless tests are already doing wireless at their workplace. I guess I'll find out soon.
    I'm sure it's certainly possible. More difficult, but not impossible.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Tangentially, does anyone know how much money would need to spend to get a realistic lab environment for ccnp:wireless?
    Hmm - well, at a bare-bones minimum I plan on getting two WLCS and two APs (preferably three if I can swing it). I can use a AAA server at tacacs.com so I've been told (we'll see). Of course, more is always better but I'll see how far I can go with this first.
  • fivestardayfivestarday Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes you can pass the CCNP wireless tests without hands on, but it will be significantly harder. You will need at minimum 2 x WLC's. 1 of them can be a smaller controller i.e. 2504, but you really need a 4400 or 5508 to study the guest-anchor tunnel portion. You will need 2 AP's, and preferably 3 to study the MSE tracking portion. I would recommend one of them being a Clean Air AP to study how that functionality works.

It is very helpful to be working for a Cisco wireless partner, as you will need access to MSE, WCS (now outdated), and Cisco ACS. By being a Cisco wireless partner you can download MSE and WCS on NFR for lab use. I have passed 2 x of the 4 CCNP Wireless courses, and I don't see anyone realistically passing without access to these products or hands-on experience deploying them. I have both, and it greatly helped me along with the Cisco Press Quick Reference guides by Jerome Henry.
    I'm getting a CCNP-Wireless in order to get a good wireless job. If I had a job doing wireless I probably wouldn't need the cert. It's the whole chicken and the egg-thing. But I'm not even bothering to apply for positions without at least the CCNA-Wireless cert to show some basic knowledge. Unfortunately, my present employer does zero wireless.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    your best bet is to pick up another skill to go along with wireless. Only the largest of partners have wireless teams and even then they are pretty small. Some jobs ago at a gold partner we had 60 VoIP engineers just in 1 region. We only had 2 wireless engineers in region. Wireless doesn't' need that much work once its setup. Maybe going to a wireless ISP might be a good route. I know its a different type of wireless, but if your more interested in the technology I would suggest that over traditional wireless.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    I have no doubt that having a CCNA-Wireless cert on one's resume would be a good thing, showing some knowledge of this technology. But if what you say is true about the real lack of need for dedicated wireless people, then the CCNP cert for it seems to be pretty much worthless - unless you're willing to move *wherever* to get that rare job. And why even offer a CCIE for wireless? It would seem to be the most useless cert of all.

Unfortunately, moving out-of-town isn't an option for me, as my family and I are settled here, so I need to find a track that has possibilities for my future. Between the recruiters listing desirable skills and the advertised jobs, it seems that security is in the most demand in my area above both voice and wireless. I wonder if companies have more dedicated security people than they have for wireless?
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    And why even offer a CCIE for wireless? It would seem to be the most useless cert of all.

Honestly, if I could wake up tomorrow and have any cert, I would pick that one. Cisco is pretty big in wireless, and they are <100 CCIE:W worldwide. Wireless has exploded in the last few years, but the certifications are much harder to study for than the typical r/s stuff where some official books and GNS3 is all you need most of the time. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems crazy to me that more people aren't going for these certs.
    shodown wrote: »
    your best bet is to pick up another skill to go along with wireless. Only the largest of partners have wireless teams and even then they are pretty small. Some jobs ago at a gold partner we had 60 VoIP engineers just in 1 region. We only had 2 wireless engineers in region. Wireless doesn't' need that much work once its setup. Maybe going to a wireless ISP might be a good route. I know its a different type of wireless, but if your more interested in the technology I would suggest that over traditional wireless.

I agree with this. You'd be better off using wireless as an add on to R&S rather than making it your main focus. There just isn't that much demand for wireless only and most people who cover wireless are already the LAN admins as well.
    shodown wrote: »

I've not heard of a wireless ISP. How are they different from a regular ISP? Who would be an example of this?
  • ghonayghonay Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm working toward the CCNP Wireless myself, and I found this site while Googling. The guy who runs it already finished his CCNP Wireless and, because there's no textbooks, decided to cover all four exams online to help out other people working toward CCNP:W. Dude isn't even charging for it! Looks like one to keep an eye on and I may want to kiss this man if he's able to get me through the track.

CCNP Wireless Training, Study Guides, Labs, Study Groups, And Discussion

Gregory