Implementing an instance of ISE in GNS3

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was able to download an older version of ise off of the Cisco website and wanted to get some hands on, primarily because my work center is currently doing a migration from ACS to ISE. Anyone know of an online tutorial and requirements? My comp should be able to run it as I currently am running with 16gb ram, 3.4 quad I7 with plenty of hard drive space. Will Virtualbox work or do I need VMware? I am running Windows 7 64 bit
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I have it running in VMware Workstation 10. You'll definitely need to up your RAM though. In order to run an AD/CA server (1-2GB RAM) + preferably 2 ISE Nodes (8GB or RAM + 200GB HD) so you'll be kind of pushing your machine.

I don't think it'll work with GNS3 but if you buy a 3750 off of ebay and maybe a 2504 WLC + AP, you'll have the makings of a great little home ISE lab
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I have it running in VMware Workstation 10. You'll definitely need to up your RAM though. In order to run an AD/CA server (1-2GB RAM) + preferably 2 ISE Nodes (8GB or RAM + 200GB HD) so you'll be kind of pushing your machine.

I don't think it'll work with GNS3 but if you buy a 3750 off of ebay and maybe a 2504 WLC + AP, you'll have the makings of a great little home ISE lab

Exactly, I mean everyone has $15,000 to put into a lab Iris. lol j/k

OP, Iris is a heavy hitter. Her lab looks like Cisco TAC. lol
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I actually ordered a 3750 off of eBay yesterday (Starting to get a CCNP SWITCH lab together). The 2504 is kinda outta my price range though icon_sad.gif. Iris btw I saw your post on ISE. Very impressive. I'll be checking out that book on Amazon. Hopefully it can improve my knowledge on the subject. For now I guess I'll try getting my hands on in the field.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Exactly, I mean everyone has $15,000 to put into a lab Iris. lol j/k

OP, Iris is a heavy hitter. Her lab looks like Cisco TAC. lol

Hey hey hey! I only spent $600 on the 2504, $200 for the 3750 on Ebay, and about $150 for more RAM on Amazon :P

My preciousssssssss:

BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Hey hey hey! I only spent $600 on the 2504, $200 for the 3750 on Ebay, and about $150 for more RAM on Amazon :P

My preciousssssssss:

lol...and yet you leave out the 2500 Series WLC I see there, several AP's and what's that a 2800 series toward the bottom?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?