Assistance w/Routing Protocol Config

NetTechNewbNetTechNewb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
All-

As the title states..I am working on a simple RIP routing config for a network I created on PT. I have (2) PC's connected to a switch and then the switch connects to a router. The pc's are on two different networks 172.20.15.100 and 192.168.0.100.

I configured the router with an ip of 172.20.15.1 and have inputted that as the gateway for the pc identified as 172.20.15.100. I configured the other interface of the router with an ip of 192.168.0.1 and have inputted that as the gateway for the pc identified as 192.168.0.100. I am able to ping the gateway successfully. I attempted to configure RIP on the router (router rip and then network 192.168.0.0) and am able to ping the other pc.

My question is this...on my router I still need to have one network on one interface and the other network on the other interface in order for this to work..correct?

I think I am a little confused...any assistance would be appreciated to get me back on the right track.

Comments

• jahazieljahaziel Member Posts: 175 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry but why did you set your default gateway different from the ip address of your router?

Nvm read it wrong..

Your IP address connecting the routers should be on a different network. So lets say you connect the routers using serial connection. So S1 on router one lets say should be 192.168.1.1/30 and one router two it should be 192.168.1.2/30

I think that answers your question.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You want to configure RIP with only 1 router?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Routing protocols are for sharing routes between routers. A single router has no need for a routing protocol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be honest, I'm not sure why you are even practicing RIP to begin with. RIP stands for itself (Rest in peace). Practice more EIGRP if anything just to get use to the commands. And networker050184 is correct you will need 2 routers if you want to setup any sort of routing protocol. What are the make/model of the routers and switches you are currently using for this lab setup?
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest, I'm not sure why you are even practicing RIP to begin with. RIP stands for itself (Rest in peace). Practice more EIGRP if anything just to get use to the commands. And networker050184 is correct you will need 2 routers if you want to setup any sort of routing protocol. What are the make/model of the routers and switches you are currently using for this lab setup?

Agreed. EIGRP is a good one, and if you plan on working in the real world side of things, OSPF and BGP (That'll be if you ever go to studying NP) especially.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds like you are studying router on a stick and will move to vlan routing soon. It it's very basic form you could use two interfaces for the different networks. You will then move into vlans and trunking which will use a single interface.

This type of lesson is usually just to demonstrate a concept. You will move on to more practical applications as you learn more. That's just a guess but I expect it will make more sense in a month or so.

Good Luck.
  • rembot00rembot00 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im gonna try to guess here.. I think your lesson is about inter vlan routing.. and your instructor (or whoever) is trying to make you connect intervlan via the "traditional" inter-vlan wherein you have to put a different physical interface of the router, to different physical switchport of the switch..as Jon said, this is just to demonstrate a concept..later on you will see the "Router on a stick" inter-vlan routing wherein you dont need to have one physical interface per network.. (you will have what is called, subinterfaces)

PS. as what networker mod said, routing protocols are for sharing routes between routers. u dont need routing protocol on this kind of setup bec u only have 1 router. This will be advertised as directly connected routes (not learned thru RIP) u only need to put VLAN configs on ur switch, to segment them as different broadcast domains,hence different subnets. then connect two straight-through cables from your router to your switch, (R:gi0/0 - S:gi1/1, R:gi0/1 - S:gi1/2). The gi0/0 would be for the 172.20.15 network, the gi0/1 would be for the 192.168.0 network. Also put the switch interfaces connected to the pc to the proper access vlans. Hope my english make sense.
  • NetTechNewbNetTechNewb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the replies...appreciate it. Yeah, not sure why I thought I needed a routing protocol for just one router...weak moment I guess. I was just wanting to practice the different routing protocols (RIP, EIGRP, OSPF) just to get my familiarization back and decided to start with RIP.

Let's take the routing protocols out of the equation for a second and just focus on one router connected by a switch and then the two pc's on two different networks. So the router would be able to route from one network to the other since both networks are directly connected? I thought I might need a static route or something so the router would "know" how to get the packets to that other network?

So in theory if the router can do this on its own I should be able to ping the other pc on the other network...but if I remember correctly, the ping was failing at the gateway before I thought about implementing a routing protocol (in this case RIP)? Can someone further clarify please....

Thanks...sorry for the stupid questions...just trying to get back in the swing of things since I don't do this stuff on a daily basis but would like to one day:)
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You haven't given use any info regarding the switch, you have two router ports and 2 PC's connected to the switch. Are they all in one vlan? i.e. the default vlan 1? If they are it should work. Or maybe you have different vlans? in which case do you have each pair of PC and router interface in the same vlan? In which case it would also work. Or have you setup trunking?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are using packet tracer watch the ping in simulation mode. Select that packet and it should tell you why it was dropped.
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    You haven't given use any info regarding the switch, you have two router ports and 2 PC's connected to the switch. Are they all in one vlan? i.e. the default vlan 1? If they are it should work. Or maybe you have different vlans? in which case do you have each pair of PC and router interface in the same vlan? In which case it would also work. Or have you setup trunking?

Sorry about that...yes both are in the default vlan 1 on the switch. No I have not setup trunking. Just an FYI, since ping was failing between the two networks I took the second network (192.168.0.100) out of the equation and just changed it to match the other one (along with changing the DG) and magically it worked. So the issue appears to be with the router not exchanging the info between the two networks?
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    If you are using packet tracer watch the ping in simulation mode. Select that packet and it should tell you why it was dropped.

Thx John...I tried that this morning before changing the network config around and it told me what layer was the issue I believe but still could not make any sense out of it. As I stated above, I changed the second pc to match the network of the first pc and now I can ping both ways.
    Disregard the previous post about not being able to ping between the networks that are directly connected to router. I go it to work successfully. Stupid me forgot to have 2 cables coming from switch to router since both router interfaces are being used.