Help me shop for a switch?

Hello all,

I am expanding my home lab. I currently only have 1 ESXi host that I do all my labbing on. I am in the process of piecing together a SAN. Having more than one piece of hardware means I have to take networking into consideration and being that I am not a network guy, that is a little scary for me.
One of the biggest problems is I don't really know my requirements nor do I really know what is available. Anywho, here are the requirements I have identified...
  • 1Gb or greater
  • Jumbo frame
  • Rackmount
  • < $150.00
  • Scalable. Would be nice if I could use this for the CCNA if I ever chose to take that route.
  • 16 port minimum.
  • Smart switch (I hear these have easier to use GUIs)
  • [EDIT] VLAN aware
Optional
  • A PoE port or two would be nice.
Seriously, I can't overstate my inexperience with networking. I hook stuff up to my router/modem and it just works. So if you have any advice please let me know. Right now I am looking at a D-Link DGS-1224T 24 Port Gigabit Smart Switch.

Open to any and all suggestions please sirs and ma'ams.
Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
WGU MSISA
Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I would increase the amount of scratch by a few bucks and grab the SG300-10 Port. POE Model is a bit more but it'll give you all the functionality you'll ever need for a lab environment. Easily works as an L2 or L3 switch as well.

Amazon.com: Cisco SG300-10 10-port Gigabit Managed Switch (SRW2008-K9-NA): Electronics
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not a ton of Cisco GigE switch options in that price range. That small business switch may do the trick but it’ll be useless for CCNA studies since it doesn't run a real IOS.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    The Cisco SG series is pretty nice, but they do NOT run IOS so it won't help you when it comes to CCNA. That said, there are times when you want a solid switch that is in production and NOT used as part of your tinkering around.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I would increase the amount of scratch by a few bucks and grab the SG300-10 Port. POE Model is a bit more but it'll give you all the functionality you'll ever need for a lab environment. Easily works as an L2 or L3 switch as well.

Amazon.com: Cisco SG300-10 10-port Gigabit Managed Switch (SRW2008-K9-NA): Electronics
    This little guy does not look rack mountable to me.
    pitviper wrote: »
    Not a ton of Cisco GigE switch options in that price range. That small business switch may do the trick but it’ll be useless for CCNA studies since it doesn't run a real IOS.
    This may be a dumb question but do you need a Cisco switch for CCNA studies? You would think all the same concepts would apply regardless of what hardware you were on. I do understand that IOS is proprietary, though, so it would make sense.

So far my research has yielded the conclusion that smart switch = cheaper, managed switch=configurable. Is this a black and white distinction or is it a sliding scale? Honestly I am considering throwing the CCNA/managed/IOS requirement out the windows as I don't want the hassle and learning curve associated with networking as I learn VMware and storage.

I was also able to ID another requirement: VLAN aware.

I'm open to buying used as well, especially from this forum. The classified ads are just filled with "Cisco 3180" and "IOS 15" blah blah blah. Hard to really know whats what as those ads assume you are familiar with the feature set on each model. Which is disappointing because there appears to be good deals to be had. Also checking eBay.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Other than the IOS requirement I think something like a TP-Link TL-SG2216 or TL-SG2424 may fit the bill. I am looking to get one of these myself.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    tprice5 wrote: »
    This little guy does not look rack mountable to me.

They are: Compare Models - Cisco

The ears are just a bit longer.
    They are: Compare Models - Cisco

The ears are just a bit longer.
    Ah, my mistake!
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Other than the IOS requirement I think something like a TP-Link TL-SG2216 or TL-SG2424 may fit the bill. I am looking to get one of these myself.
    D-Link and TP-Link are essentially the same components right? When I was hunting for WAPs I think I saw almost identical product lines from both.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I know it is not a very exciting thread topic but ya have to take advice where you can get it.
    WGU MSISA
  • wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I would look for a Cisco 3560-24 PoE or a 3750-24 PoE for a nice switch. IOS commands for what you are needing are quite simple, and if you choose to pursue your CCNA you would be on track, adding a few switches and a couple of routers would create a nice home lab.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
    wgroom wrote: »
    I would look for a Cisco 3560-24 PoE or a 3750-24 PoE for a nice switch. IOS commands for what you are needing are quite simple, and if you choose to pursue your CCNA you would be on track, adding a few switches and a couple of routers would create a nice home lab.

He's looking for GigE models - the 3560 and 3750 "E" models are still too pricey.
    tprice5 wrote: »
    This may be a dumb question but do you need a Cisco switch for CCNA studies? You would think all the same concepts would apply regardless of what hardware you were on. I do understand that IOS is proprietary, though, so it would make sense.

There is a strong emphasis on configuring Cisco hardware on the exam – It’s not as vanilla as say, Network+. Honestly there is so much content on the exam that you’ll want to use the right equipment to study. So what you are looking for now would just end up being an access layer switch if you did use it for CCNA preparation – Get something that fits your needs now, and you can always pickup some cheap lab gear later (if you are patient enough on eBay you could pick-up some 2950 access layer switches for around $20/ea, and a 3550 L3 switch for around $50-$75).

I’m using an 8 port Cisco 3560CG as my fabric switch between a couple of ESXi hosts and a NAS running iSCSI – it’s a more $$$ option though.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He's looking for GigE models - the 3560 and 3750 "E" models are still too pricey.
    He's right. Unfortunately, something with GigE ports (Such as a 3750X) WITH PoE will run you a couple thousand dollars used. Even the 3750s will run you close to 200 used if they support PoE, and they are only FastEthernet ports.
    As for using them for CCNA, just get your hands on a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer, some free labs, and the optimism to build a network from the ground up.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    Thanks everyone. Ditching the CCNA and PoE requirement. Will cross those bridges when I get there.

The TP-Link TL-SG2216 looks to fit the bill!
    Thanks for everyones help.
    WGU MSISA
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    i'd recommend cisco 3560
    omi2123 wrote: »
    i'd recommend cisco 3560

OP asked for an option with GigE and a price around $150...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As someone here mentioned, if the budget can be stretched I'd go with a Cisco SG-300. Awesome value for money.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p