GCFE Passed 3/21!!

ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took FOR408 at SANS CDI in December. My studying consisted of reading each book cover-to-cover and highlighting things of interest. I used 35 post-it tabs and created an "index" that divided all the contents into 35 sections. It was much less detailed than most indexes I've seen, but it worked for me. After scoring 81% and 83% on my two practice exams, I scored a 91% on the actual exam! :D I did each practice exam in under 2 hours, so I slowed down on the actual exam (2 hrs 25 mins).

Overall, a great course and glad to have my first GIAC cert. Now, I have a weekend to recover before SEC504 vLive begins next week!

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and great score! What kind of position do you work in if you don't mind me asking?
  • ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

I do federal consulting, but my experience is more along the lines of security auditing/pen-testing. I had zero forensics experience before taking this course.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job and congrats!
  • Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and great score!! Are the practices a good representation of your exam? How much time did you put between your practices and your exam?
  • ajd86ajd86 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and great score!! Are the practices a good representation of your exam? How much time did you put between your practices and your exam?

Thanks! I took the exam only two days after the last practice exam. The exams were very similar, although I felt the actual exam had more questions that required extra thought. I was nervous after the first few questions, but put at ease when I saw 100% after the first 15 questions. What really helped me was knowing I could take my time, since I did the practice exams so quickly.
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My opinion of the practice exams is pretty much the same. I always rush on the practice exams, but take my time on the real thing, resulting in a better score. But the content of the exams are very close.

Oh and congrats!
  • shakylogicshakylogic Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats on the pass and the score.
    I'm in the SANS FOR408 right now (on break) and I went ahead and purchased the chance to sit the exam. I got an email today about filling out a certification application. They're wanting to know about my sec work, training and teaching experience. I just thought that was a little odd. Didn't have to do that for the GSEC...did have to do it for the CISSP, but didn't expect it for this one.