Failed 98-366 [MTA Network Fundamentals] but passed 98-349 [MTA OS Fundamentals]!

CyantistCyantist Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Last Thursday I took my 98-366 and unfortunately failed icon_sad.gif. I scored 66%, leaving me just 4% short of a pass.

In studying for this test I:
Read the Sybex book twice, did not test myself using the questions in the book, this was quite short sighted. Will do next time
Did numerous measure ups. Scoring 93% at my best.
Did 2 weeks of instructor led training.

I want to say that the measure ups aren't a good way to study in my opinion. I found the same questions came up consistently and that ultimately I was just learning the questions on measure up, I didn't find them to be very close to what came up on my exam. I am 19 and prior to november had never worked in a proper IT environment, and really prior to these two weeks I had never done anything deeper than pinging etcetera in terms of networking. I was going to resit the following friday but Certiport was having troubles loading the 98-366 exam and so I took the 98-349 exam instead just for kicks since I'd read how easy it was and had already given the book a quick read.

Ultimately I'm confident that on my next try I'll get it. I came really close my first time and was thrown off by the fact my very first question was on classful IP's, and I was told this wouldn't come up as it was effectively legacy! I got the question right in the end but kept flicking back because I wasn't sure about it and I think this played on my mind. No excuses though.

The following Friday I intended to resit but since 98-366 would not load we took the 98-349 exam instead. I scored 83%, which I'm happy with given the circumstances:

In studying for this test I:
Read the Sybex book once, did not test myself using the questions in the book. This was approximately 2 months before the exam for some light reading.

and that's basically it, I did the exam on short [read: less than 5 minutes] notice so didn't know to study for it. I'm happy that I passed, and think if I actually did a few days of instructor led training like I would've done if we did it when scheduled that I would've gotten higher! My experience for this comes from being the general family IT guy and my short time working at my current employment.

Happy to read any kind of constructive criticism, particularly if anybody agrees that the measureups aren't really a great indicator or if thats just me getting the wrong feeling from them, also happy to read any extra tips on passing the networking exam whenever I resit it!

As a result of passing I'm now a Microsoft Technical Associate: Windows Operating System Fundamentals and a Microsoft Certified Professional!

Next I'm going into center for 98-367, AKA Security Fundamentals in approximately six weeks., I'd really to like to become proficient in Security and perhaps even specialize in it so I'm going to do everything I can to get as high as possible on it. It's almost certain I'll be reading the Sybex book numerous times before I return to center for instructor led training and maybe even do a few measureups. It's imperative I master the questions set in the book this time I believe. I'm also well and truly happy to listen to anybodies advice on nailing the 98-367 exam!

Comments

• Scott400Scott400 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi There,

I'm thinking about taking the MTA Infrastructure track as well, besides the sybex books what else did you use as study materials for this exam?

Thanks Again,
  • CyantistCyantist Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Scott400 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I'm thinking about taking the MTA Infrastructure track as well, besides the sybex books what else did you use as study materials for this exam?

Thanks Again,

Which exam? I listed everything I used. I also work "helpdesk" at a company so I guess you could include that when I'm put on the spot and either research or shadow my boss.

Also we had a prinout about ISDN standards that came from a CompTIA Network+ book.
    I'm planning on taking all of them to be honest (98-349, 98-349, 98-349 and 98-349), but I can't seem to find any study materials. I've been working in a help desk settings for a hotel chain for 5 years now, I keep reading how easy the certs are but wanna make sure I pass them. Also I'm just wondering if the CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals is equivalent or just as good as these certs (maybe not as known but)

Thanks,
    Scott
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm planning on taking all of them to be honest (98-349, 98-349, 98-349 and 98-349), but I can't seem to find any study materials. I've been working in a help desk settings for a hotel chain for 5 years now, I keep reading how easy the certs are but wanna make sure I pass them. Also I'm just wondering if the CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals is equivalent or just as good as these certs (maybe not as known but)

Thanks,
    Scott

There are plenty of materials for these exams out there...

If you keep reading how easy these certs are, then what is you basis for wanting to take them? There isn't much of a ROI on them.

I took them because I lacked fundamental skill set in a lot of IT, but if you are taking them because they are 'easy' then you might want to step up to something harder.

Thanks,
    Scott

It depends. I'd hazard a guess that upon first look most people [HR, interviewers etc] would probably like the Microsoft certs as that's probably what they have in there environment and also likely a more recognizable name than CompTIA to your average HR drone. I really don't care about that rubbish though, they're both entry level certifications and difference likely is minimal.

These books are what everybody on these forums studies from, they're pricy (approximately 30-40 usd new I think, much cheaper if you get them used) but they're worth it and will fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

Sybex: Microsoft - MTA

For each book find the ISBN number [click the hyperlink and they're listed] then google search that and amazon etcetera will likely be the first results, from there you'll probably be looking in the used section, I buy used books all the time and generally the books will have general wear to them and that's it. I once bought a book in HS for my studies and it had a whole bunch of useful notes penciled into the margins.
    Hi Sween,

I'm not taking them because they are so called "easy" I'm taking them for the benefits of learning the basics which will help me take it to the next level to the MCSA and hopefully from there to the MCSE.

Sorry if I made it look like I was looking for an easy cert, they're all valuable in the knowledge that they give.

Thanks
    Awesome thanks for the tips, also do you know if the All In One Books are good for studying I just finished off the Strata IT book but just want to make sure it's a good tool or if I should look to get my information from another source?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Sween,

I'm not taking them because they are so called "easy" I'm taking them for the benefits of learning the basics which will help me take it to the next level to the MCSA and hopefully from there to the MCSE.

Sorry if I made it look like I was looking for an easy cert, they're all valuable in the knowledge that they give.

Thanks

I understand what you mean, I took them because I had never taken a certification test and I had read that they were a good place to start. I did learn a lot, but depending on where you are at in IT it may not be worth the time invested.

With all that said.. they are pretty easy haha

-scott
    Haha, good to know :P
    Awesome thanks for the tips, also do you know if the All In One Books are good for studying I just finished off the Strata IT book but just want to make sure it's a good tool or if I should look to get my information from another source?

Thanks,
    Scott

No idea, Sorry. Never even heard of them really. Do you have a link to them so I can check them out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are on the right track!! Only 22 here bud! Don't let failure discourage you, let it motivate you! To push yourself and never give in. When people tell you that you can't, tell them that you can! Failure is not an option!! Live by that motto, and the lim (calculus terminology) is what you set yourself to!!
  • rembot00rembot00 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're still young and I applaud you on doing the necessary steps to achieve your goal. Failures are part of the learning process. Just go back and study your thing and kill it on the next take icon_wink.gif I am also reading the MTA books from Sybex, and just passed the 98-366 on April 3rd, 98-367 on April 11th, and planning to sit on 98-369 on April 22nd..Originally i was planning to do 365 first on April 22nd, but bec i didn't have prior exp on using a Windows Server (just started installing on a vm just for this learning series), i find the material hard to understand lol.

There's a lot of server related security configurations that is being shown on 367 book, which is it would be hard to understand it if you don't know how to configure it in the first place. I guess I just got lucky and passed it because it's quite easy, the softness of the exam didn't justify the content of the book..Just keep the important terminologies in mind & you're all set. but still, not because it's easy doesn't mean you don't have to study.

On your Network Fundamentals, I suggest you read it again, and don't skip a thing (take those friggin' exercises!) and don't forget to download the errata,there are few corrected errors there. And maybe watch the CBT Nuggets series for that? It is being taught by James Conrad, personally haven't watched it,but maybe useful. Goodluck bud! icon_thumright.gif
  • missjanayamissjanaya Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Know the feeling.... I am thinking of taking the 349 after this post is there any recommended study material.
    You are on the right track!! Only 22 here bud! Don't let failure discourage you, let it motivate you! To push yourself and never give in. When people tell you that you can't, tell them that you can! Failure is not an option!! Live by that motto, and the lim (calculus terminology) is what you set yourself to!!
    rembot00 wrote: »
    You're still young and I applaud you on doing the necessary steps to achieve your goal. Failures are part of the learning process. Just go back and study your thing and kill it on the next take icon_wink.gif I am also reading the MTA books from Sybex, and just passed the 98-366 on April 3rd, 98-367 on April 11th, and planning to sit on 98-369 on April 22nd..Originally i was planning to do 365 first on April 22nd, but bec i didn't have prior exp on using a Windows Server (just started installing on a vm just for this learning series), i find the material hard to understand lol.

There's a lot of server related security configurations that is being shown on 367 book, which is it would be hard to understand it if you don't know how to configure it in the first place. I guess I just got lucky and passed it because it's quite easy, the softness of the exam didn't justify the content of the book..Just keep the important terminologies in mind & you're all set. but still, not because it's easy doesn't mean you don't have to study.

On your Network Fundamentals, I suggest you read it again, and don't skip a thing (take those friggin' exercises!) and don't forget to download the errata,there are few corrected errors there. And maybe watch the CBT Nuggets series for that? It is being taught by James Conrad, personally haven't watched it,but maybe useful. Goodluck bud! icon_thumright.gif

Thanks for the motivation and information, I'm not aware of what a "CBT Nuggets" is, so if anybody can link me to those I'd be real happy. I'm looking forward to the security unit and have been doing the exercises in the Sybex book, something about security lights a fire in me so I really want to ace this one!
    missjanaya wrote: »
    Know the feeling.... I am thinking of taking the 349 after this post is there any recommended study material.

I think the recommended study material from the MTA track is almost always the Sybex books, measureups and CBT Nuggets, but I'm really not aware of what they are and need to research them. All I can say is don't go into the exam cocky! Revise and make sure you KNOW the material. Do the questions in the book, setup a VM of your OS of choice and do what the book talks you through. You might well know your way around an OS but some of the most obscure stuff comes up on that exam and you really have to think in a "Microsoft-y way". Odd stuff like upgrade paths comes up, which I know but have never bothered with because who buys the upgrade stuff? Just buy the full version, backup and nuke it instead of using a bloaty base to upgrade from lol.

The 349 is an "easy exam" but it will sting you if you give it half the chance.

Just a question, if you have CompTIA Fundamentals why are you bothering with the MTA fundamentals?
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have a CompTIA cert then thats vendor neutral. But if he knocks out an MTA then that can be something specific to his job area or role, or the software their company uses and thats beneficial. One you get an overview and one you get specifics.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management