Options

Not sure I should work on CASP or not.

TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I self studied for the Security+ and got it done cheaply with experience, E-book and Skillsoft and other prep material. The CASP there doesn't seem to be much self study material. Is it worth spending time going after the CASP, it is on the DoD approved list now. The CISSP is on hold for me until I get ITIL and a few small certs out of the way.

The CASP seems like the SSCP to me. Not very recognized but again DoD puts CASP as a lower alternate to CISSP putting the SSCP lower than CASP.

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're going after DoD, CASP might be worth it, but if you aren't, it isn't. That's my take anyways.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    I'm in Maryland so there is a lot of DoD in this area, so CASP might be a good interim cert I was thinking. However in the private sector it is not recognized unless a DoD or other agency contractor it might be helpful.

But I need to add another cert quickly for job reasons. I think I might be stuck just doing unless by some miracle I can knock out the CISSP in a couple months.

Might take half the time for a CASP and less risk to pass than CISSP which is something like 250 questions.

Ugggghhhh!
    If you're going after DoD, CASP might be worth it, but if you aren't, it isn't. That's my take anyways.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it helps at all, I studied for CASP for maybe two or three weeks. It wasn't difficult.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    It wasn't difficult.
    CASP wasn't difficult for you based on your own personal knowledge, experience, and analytical skills. Other people my not have exactly your qualities when studying for and taking the exam to find it as easy as you did.
  • Options
    +1 for JDMurray's comments however I think I could do it in two-three weeks if I hunker-down. I do have experience in many different areas. Right now I'm struggling studying for a couple other certs. I'm reading the study guide for the CIW Security Pro, so we'll see how that goes first.

I looked at the CompTIA sample questions and it seems like the CASP is really a Security+"+" certification. It seems to go into a few areas a bit deeper than Security+ but the "style" of the questions are similar. I didn't do too bad on the Security+ considering I was a scatter-brained and not sure I was ready for it but did pass with a fairly good score.

There also doesn't seem to be a lot of study guide material out there or helpful guide hints like the Gibbs book and site. I'll have to order a CASP book of which there are probably two available.

The pass/fail seems kind of odd. Anyone know a theoretical score? I assume that you have to be above 70% for each topic or something like that?
    JDMurray wrote: »
    CASP wasn't difficult for you based on your own personal knowledge, experience, and analytical skills. Other people my not have exactly your qualities when studying for and taking the exam to find it as easy as you did.
  • Options
    Lexcorp6Lexcorp6 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I truly appreciate all of the info in this thread. I'm in a situation similar to the OP.