Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College

Comments

• J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Signed up just to post that I've been accepted as well.
    Checking every day, I'm anxious to pay for this, and even more anxious for the class to start.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    I received a voicemail yesterday stating that my name came up and they sent me an email a week ago. I checked my spam/junk box and nothing. I emailed Jana Kennedy this morning, still waiting for a response. I hope I don't lose my spot.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    J.Tot wrote: »
    Signed up just to post that I've been accepted as well.
    Checking every day, I'm anxious to pay for this, and even more anxious for the class to start.
    Welcome and best of luck!
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    Anyone know what the final cost will be? Does this count as one credit, Two? is it a flat rate? Looking at Stanly's tuition prices doesn't help.

I've seen $185 here and there from various members + cost of books. Any official price page on this?
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
    J.Tot wrote: »
    Anyone know what the final cost will be? Does this count as one credit, Two? is it a flat rate? Looking at Stanly's tuition prices doesn't help.

I've seen $185 here and there from various members + cost of books. Any official price page on this?

Here is the email I received when I took the class which lists the price.

Good Morning TPrice5,
    We are now registering for the course listed below, and your name on our wait list has come up. However, before proceeding to registration, please review the following information:
    VMware training is only available to individuals who may be a student in full or part time education, unemployed, career changers or trying to improve their knowledge and are paying for the training themselves. It is not for companies or corporate entities to obtain training for their employees – those individuals must go to a commercial VMware training offering through a VMware authorized commercial training center.
    State Authorization Compliance:
    Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings. Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence. At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota. Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.
    If you are still interested in taking this class, and you are paying your own tuition, please complete the form located here by Wednesday, December 11th. Once we have processed your registration, we will send you information on how to go online to our website and submit your payment of $185.00 for the class.
    Here is the class information:
    1/15/2014-3/05/2014 - VMware Vsphere Course – Virtual Online Class
    Important Information: Registration and Lab fees (total $185.00) due at registration. Textbook to be purchased prior to the start of class. This class is conducted entirely online. SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam.
    For information regarding the textbook, you may contact our Bookstore at [URL="tel:704-991-0229"]704-991-0229[/URL] or bookstore@stanly.edu.
    Let me know if you have any questions or need any further assistance.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    ^ I must not be a smart man. I have the same email detailing the price.
  • jpalmerjpalmer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If someone were to add themselves to the waiting list today, What would an expected wait time be? From the sounds of it, it seems like it'd be the better part of a year. Is that accurate?
    jpalmer wrote: »
    If someone were to add themselves to the waiting list today, What would an expected wait time be? From the sounds of it, it seems like it'd be the better part of a year. Is that accurate?

I believe I signed up in October, if that's any help.
  • ghdghd Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I signed up on December 30th last year and received my email last week. Really looking forward to it.
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me how much time you would need to commit per week to doing this course?I wouldnt be able to log on every day with other commitments but I am thinking I would be able to do possibly 10 hrs a week, mainly weekends, would that realistically be enough to do all quizes/labs etc?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveFer wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how much time you would need to commit per week to doing this course?I wouldnt be able to log on every day with other commitments but I am thinking I would be able to do possibly 10 hrs a week, mainly weekends, would that realistically be enough to do all quizes/labs etc?

That would be plenty of time.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    stryder144 wrote: »
    That would be plenty of time.
    Emphasis on plenty. Just hop on, knock out your lab and you're done. I would imagine it would probably take 3 hours a week if you know what you're doing and you take your time. Complete n00bs probably add a couple hours.
    WGU MSISA
    Whenever someone gets the payment email please post. Don't want to miss it.
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    I received a voicemail yesterday stating that my name came up and they sent me an email a week ago. I checked my spam/junk box and nothing. I emailed Jana Kennedy this morning, still waiting for a response. I hope I don't lose my spot.
    Same thing happened to me. I sent her an e-mail and she forwarded the message that was sent on 4/15 to me. For some reason I never received the original, I'm using Gmail by the way. Anyway if you still haven't received a response by now try calling them, or sending another e-mail.

On a side note, was anyone else weirded out that the Google docs form was asking for our social security #? It was optional so I left it blank, but it made me do a double take and question if this was in fact Stanley CC, and not some cleaver hacker lol
    I noticed that too and left it blank
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The form actually does ask for an SS#. We are required to ask for it, but you are not required to give it. I know that is odd! Just letting you know for reassurances.

Payment emails will be go out this week to those who have responded back to Jana. She is not on campus today.

astrogeek wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. I sent her an e-mail and she forwarded the message that was sent on 4/15 to me. For some reason I never received the original, I'm using Gmail by the way. Anyway if you still haven't received a response by now try calling them, or sending another e-mail.

On a side note, was anyone else weirded out that the Google docs form was asking for our social security #? It was optional so I left it blank, but it made me do a double take and question if this was in fact Stanley CC, and not some cleaver hacker lol
    I'm not too familiar with VMware curriculum in general but I receive an email from them today stating the intro of new courses (below). Is the 5.1 being offered by Stanly still valid for the exam?

NEW - VMware vSphere: Fast Track [v5.5]
    NEW - VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [v5.5]
    NEW - VMware vSphere: Skills for Operators [v5.5]
    NEW - VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [v5.5]
    • VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [5.5]
    Yes. However, you will still need some additional study material & time for the certification exam.
    I'm not too familiar with VMware curriculum in general but I receive an email from them today stating the intro of new courses (below). Is the 5.1 being offered by Stanly still valid for the exam?

NEW - VMware vSphere: Fast Track [v5.5]
    NEW - VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [v5.5]
    NEW - VMware vSphere: Skills for Operators [v5.5]
    NEW - VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [v5.5]
    • VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [5.5]
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Yes. However, you will still need some additional study material & time for the certification exam.

If I understood this correctly, after I finish the VCP course from Stanly I still need further studying to sit for the VCP exam?
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I understood this correctly, after I finish the VCP course from Stanly I still need further studying to sit for the VCP exam?

That's what most people who have taken the course say, that it still requires some personal study and labbing
    The answer is unfortunately “maybe”. The reason I position it this way is that each student is different. We have plenty of students who take the course and go pass the exam. We have others who need further study, either reviewing the text, maybe some prep software, etc. That varies from student to student, depending upon how they have approached the material, the attention to detail while doing labs, and the knowledge and experience they come into the training with initially. For example, some students come into a required course like this and go through the labs, following the step-by-step lab guides and don’t even keep track of where they are clicking. A new person coming in taking this approach just to check off “I completed the course” box isn’t going to see any value out of the training at any level. The course does cover much if not all of the content of the exam but we can’t tell anyone that if you go through this course that is all you will ever need. But to what degree someone needs further study depends upon the individual. I think that looking at some other study aid helps an individual gauge where they are at because it presents content and questions in a way that the student isn’t used to seeing. The course may be all some students need but for other students, further study, often of the same principles over and over again may be needed.

STANLY_CC wrote: »
    The answer is unfortunately “maybe”. The reason I position it this way is that each student is different. We have plenty of students who take the course and go pass the exam. We have others who need further study, either reviewing the text, maybe some prep software, etc. That varies from student to student, depending upon how they have approached the material, the attention to detail while doing labs, and the knowledge and experience they come into the training with initially. For example, some students come into a required course like this and go through the labs, following the step-by-step lab guides and don’t even keep track of where they are clicking. A new person coming in taking this approach just to check off “I completed the course” box isn’t going to see any value out of the training at any level. The course does cover much if not all of the content of the exam but we can’t tell anyone that if you go through this course that is all you will ever need. But to what degree someone needs further study depends upon the individual. I think that looking at some other study aid helps an individual gauge where they are at because it presents content and questions in a way that the student isn’t used to seeing. The course may be all some students need but for other students, further study, often of the same principles over and over again may be needed.

Got it. It is recommended but not required by VMware. The only requirement is the actual training offered by affiliates.
    two weeks have past. still no payment email
    or is it two weeks from the 15th
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just got the payment e-mail this morning so if you have been notified you are on the wait list and you applied but haven't paid yet you probably should call them or send them an e-mail.

Just a quick question for anyone who's taking or has taken this course, what is the book for this course? The search on their website didn't turn up anything and I remember some people saying they didn't even use the book. I might want to get the book anyway though.
    my email just came in. yay
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Does anyone know roughly what is the wait time to get into this course?
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
    may 19th i believe
  • dubzerdubzer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got payment email on Apr 25th, looks like I'm in. Thanks for posting this guys.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got the payment email on the 25th as well. Finally going to be taking this class!
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    shyguyIT wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly what is the wait time to get into this course?

I signed up in early December and got in this May session so at the time that I signed up it was ~6 months. It's just an assumption but I would pen it now at 6-9 months.