Options

New to the Networking world!! Some advice would be great

RomuletRomulet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I've been reading some posts made by people and I have to say, I'm very happy that I have stumbled upon this website. I am looking for a couple of suggestions. I'm new to the networking world and I'm studying for my network + exam. I'm watching videos of Professor Messer on you tube and I'm writing everything down. I am reading some E-books from the net as well. What I want to know is the Messer videos worth watching? I'm looking at peoples posts on where they go and stuff and there is a lot of of information going around. I just want to skip the searching for study guides and just get right to the studying. The book that I am reading is the Mike Meyers book. I will be up for 24 hours trying to finish Messers youtube videos and I will read Mike Meyers book. My friend does have, I will just put it down a couple of letters so I don't get in trouble, CT NGT video that I can look at as well. I'm looking at the CT NGT and it looks to be a little out dated. It is before the new Network+ exam. Is the CT NGT video even worth watching? that has 30 vids over 30 min long apiece. Any info would be great.

Quest for the certs
Network+
CCNA since this has to do with networking I mind as well bang this one out too.
Security +
Storage +
2012- Still thinking about this one.

Any other branches you think that would be relevant would be great.

Thank you for reading
Thomas

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are already watching some videos it should give you an idea about weather they help you or not.

I never liked video training in the past but I have found that it helps me read books faster after I have watched the videos. So I now try to watch a video series either before or while I am studying for something. For me I believe it just makes the flow of the book easier when I have an idea about where the topic is going.

Good Luck
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    If you have the time and money it wouldn't hurt to read through a Cisco INCD1/CCENT book especially since you mentioned going for the CCNA after. While definitely not required for Network+ I was glad I went through a CCNA course as it helped solidify some understanding on harder topics like subnetting and cabling.
  • Options
    RomuletRomulet Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have the time and money it wouldn't hurt to read through a Cisco INCD1/CCENT book especially since you mentioned going for the CCNA after. While definitely not required for Network+ I was glad I went through a CCNA course as it helped solidify some understanding on harder topics like subnetting and cabling.

Thank you very much for that. I will def get that.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Romulet wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that. I will def get that.

I concur, having taken Network + and now doing the CCNA study allot of the same things I've already learned so now it's just a refresher....

CompTIA certs may not be the best-of-the-best but they build a foundation to other higher certifications. I'm realizing now why I did them 1st; it's really helping quite a bit.
  • Options
    AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest you subscribe to this person on Youtube, who has his CCNP and teach Cisco topics. I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeZZUbcL2awo15FafXfsqIw
  • Options
    snosno Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For Network+ I did watch some videos but feel that the book was the most helpful thing and the main thing I needed. If you find them helpful, go for it, but I thought the book was more than enough (I used Todd Lammel's book).

Now I am working on CCNA and find videos to be more useful because the CCNA is more sepcific. I think videos help me learn and understand Cisco IOS commands. Watching youtube videos of people working through IOS commands is a great companion to what I read in the study book. Along with a book and videos, practicing subnetting by using sites like subnettingqustions.com and subnettingpractice.net is really helpful. But you don't really need that too much for Network+.