Options

Still Relevant??

AzztronaughtAzztronaught Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
NewB here,

I was recommended to tech exams by a friend and cant believe i've never heard of this site! Priceless info on these boards.

Anyhow, a little background. Ive been in a desktop support position for about 5 years and have worked for several companies over the years. Back in 2012 i decided to pursue a career in Security and was lucky enough to have a boss who payed for me to take the GSEC class and exam.

Unfortunately, i feel extremely ill 1 day in to the class and was ill for months after. Having spent time getting better i kind of put my career on hold.

Now i'm Back! and looking to have a crack at the GSEC. I still have my GSEC books, and looking to challenge the exam since i no longer work for my awesome boss anymore.

My question is, my GSEC books were written in 2011 and was wondering if i can still use my books to pass this exam?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure some of the information is still relevant, however I would take a look at the exam objectives and see how closely your material aligns with them (see link below). I am in the midst of studying for the GSEC and so far a lot of the material covered is stuff that I don't feel would typically have too much variation over time (especially from 2011 - now).

Security Essentials Certification: GSEC
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Even if its 2011, I am sure its still relevant. The base knowledge from compliance didn't change much for the last 10 years. The only module that is ever changing in GSEC content would be the Windows and Unix administration essentials which new stuff are frequently introduced, this is especially for windows.

Even if its 2011, it already cover the latest windows 2008. There haven't much changes since 2011 till now, I hope that answer your question.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    There is new content added to the SANS 401 course and GSEC exam over time too. There have probably been 4-5 revisions of the SANS 401 courseware since 2011. I would buy a GSEC practice exam to get an idea of what the GSEC exam looks like now. It's a $129 investment to help make sure the $1049 you spend on the GSEC challenge exam isn't wasted.