Kindle vs Books

AdrianITAdrianIT Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

not sure if this has been asked before but studying for my mcitp and my books are piling up. does anyone know if you can get these on a kindle as it would be SOOOOO much more convenient.

if so what kindles do you guys use...looking to get one if this is an alternative
\\2015: [x]ITIL [x]Become a dad [x]Move out my parents house! :)
\\2016: [ ]70-410 [ ]70-411 [ ]70-412 [ ]Sec+ [ ]CISSP

Comments

• AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I currently have the Kindle Fire HD (16 GB Model) and I must say it's great! If you want one strictly for reading, then go for the basic Kindle version, which is $69.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the Kindle Fire HDX 16 GB version. I actually use this and an iPad G4 for reading. The iPad does have a Kindle app that I have tested and works well. The only issue is the reflective screen.
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have an iPad Mini w/ Retina. I love it. Put the Kindle app on it and always buy my books from there to read. MUCH MUCH easier to use that than carry heavy books around AND you save space. You can always sell the books back to Amazon and get credit towards ANY purchase (just an FYI). That's what I did with about 50 IT books already. My Kindle app has like 100+ books on it now.
    bigdogz wrote: »
    I have the Kindle Fire HDX 16 GB version. I actually use this and an iPad G4 for reading. The iPad does have a Kindle app that I have tested and works well. The only issue is the reflective screen.

A privacy screen or antiglare screen will fix that issue.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Or, alternatively you could get a Nexus 7 (2013) and that can do the Kindle App as well as the Safari Books Online App where most of your IT books are available for less than the price of a couple of physical books. Just a suggestion.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also have, and love, a kindle fire. If you've ot the books that came with a cd, there's a good chance that there's a pdf version of the book on that cd.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Books. You can write in the margins, fold pages, drop in sticky notes, and highlight. Too hard to read the screen and too easy for me to get distracted by using other apps.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I'm the odd one of the group. I prefer paper books. Reading that much material makes my eyes sore. I already spend 8+ hours a day looking at a computer screen. Plus I love to be able to write in the books and take notes and mark things up. It helps my retention.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love having the mobile readers whether it is a ipad, kindle, or nexus. They work great for safari Books, pdf manuals, and to do quick reference searches. Although I feel you can't beat a paper book for just reading. I have an extensive paper library at home and extend it any chance I get.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I like reading on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 - it's really easy on my eyes since it has a adaptive screen lighting for night reading. Plus the Amazon Whispernet is super fast with books when you buy them.

As of the late though I've been using a Acer C720 Chromebook for my reading that I loaded Ubuntu on it and it's really great on battery life (and super light) plus I can plug in 3 serial-to-USB adapters and plug away in putty for CCENT study, Vmware Client 5.5 also works great too! ... if only they made wireless serial adapter's I could do it all in bed icon_rolleyes.gif

However sometimes I do like the books since I can use a mechanical pencil and do the chapter questions in the book. Can't really do that on a Kindle without a notepad....
  • Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    I have to have dead trees. I get enough screen time as it is and often catch myself browsing/reading other stuff if I use a device.
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    I'm the odd one of the group. I prefer paper books. Reading that much material makes my eyes sore. I already spend 8+ hours a day looking at a computer screen. Plus I love to be able to write in the books and take notes and mark things up. It helps my retention.

This.

I have 2TB of ebooks but I've only read a couple of them, I mostly read paper books. So much better for my eyes and my concentration and also easier to search etc. Same reason why I prefer writing instead of typing. I can't learn half as much when I type on my laptop than when I take notes in my notebook.
  • AdrianITAdrianIT Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to have dead trees. I get enough screen time as it is and often catch myself browsing/reading other stuff if I use a device.

that's really the most important point (hit the nail right on the head)...at times i find myself getting carried away and playing games or browsing,etc....i currently have an ipad2 and a kindle fire hd...both seem too much distraction....the 'reading' version also seems to be a bit more robust, so i can chuck it into my bag without worrying too much....can they read any .pdfs? or would you need to configure it somehow??? (don't like to use the word 'hack' lol) ....from what i've "heard" they're a lot easier on the eyes than the others....
    \\2015: [x]ITIL [x]Become a dad [x]Move out my parents house! :)
    \\2016: [ ]70-410 [ ]70-411 [ ]70-412 [ ]Sec+ [ ]CISSP
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Most of my study materials are on the Kindle Fire HD that I received for christmas, I take note, highlight stuff book marks are easy to set up, I also have a kindle app on all of my desktops and laptops, that way I can sync between all of them with my kindle and have my book with me for reference when I am working on labs, it is really nice to sit at my lab and be able to read through the exercises as I am doing them hands on, I have an extensive paper collection, but retain far more by have the kindle as well as the readers on my computers.

One thing I will say is, it takes discipline to use an electronic reader, I am fortunate, I have never played games on computers, don't own a game box device and will never. For the 30 plus years I have been on computers, I have never considered them for anything but work, Now me wife, that is another story! She gets addicted to games.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a Surface and downloaded the Kindle app from the Windows Store and it works just fine. Either I buy the Kindle version or the eBook version which is a PDF file so I just open it with Adobe Reader. Plain and simple.
    I have an iPad Mini and love reading on it, surprisingly. Its only WiFi and not 4GLTE, so I don't have to worry about gaming when I'm not around WiFi hotspots. I do have games on it but the way I look at it is this:

If you really, truly want the certification, YOU have to have the self-discipline to study and NOT play games or have other distractions.

I have a 2yr old that takes up the majority of my time, besides work, but if its not one of the two, then I'm reading. Especially to keep the CISSP going!!
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A kindle would be invaluable for you then. Pickup the Kindle Fire HD. Amazon has it where you only put $20 bucks down then pay on installments later. It allows you to highlight stuff, search for technical terms much faster, and pretty much access your study/reading anywhere.

Actually adopt the general use of kindle as a habit. When you do not have a kindle device use "Kindle for Web" which is accessible through a browser at http://read.amazon.com. All your highlights are still there! you can also resume where you left off.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'd like a Kindle with night lighting built in, but they're still too expensive.

For now, I'm sticking with Android tablets for eBooks in general. I can pick and choose between the three major eBook vendors at will, as sometimes each will have a better price on something than their competitor.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    My kindle fire HD is easy to read at night and you can adjust the brightness for different lighting conditions, they have been on sale all over the place where I live, seen one the other day for $99, which in some cases is less expensive than a text book for some of this stuff we are studying.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kindle is on a special by Amazon. They are letting it go for just $20.00 but you have to make the rest of the payments as the months progress.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+