Options

No idea where to start with my resume. Need assistance.

LoghouseLoghouse Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I posted here recently and received some good advice but now I'm having other troubles.

I'm trying to create a resume for an entry level IT job (Help Desk Technician/Analyst/Support). But I have no idea what I should put down on my resume, I won't have my associates until next year (Only need two more core classes.) and I'm currently preparing for the A+ certificate. Looking at job postings for entry level jobs I feel like I can perform the tasks they have / pick up on it quickly. A lot of them don't require any certs and I'm not sure if I can put down on my resumes that I will be gradating next year with a degree.

If anyone could help me put together a resume or get me going in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I've looked around online for IT templates but seem to be finding examples of much more experience ones rather an entry one.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, the first thing you need to know is that each resume you submit should be tailored to the job you are trying to apply for, whether it is now or when you have a boatload of experience under your belt. i.e. if you have skills in basket weaving and typing along with your A+, leave out the basket weaving and typing as they aren't relevant to the job you are seeking.

Look at what the job requirements are and reflect on your personal experience to tell the employer your story and why you'd be a great fit for the position. Start out with your information in the header of the resume, a summary of who you are (keep it high level), applicable certifications / technical skills (high level), work experience then education. Some people prefer to put education near the top; IMO it's all based on personal preference.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Shoot me your e-mail, you can find my contact info in my profile. I will help you out. You can see my resume format on my website not allowed to post links here to personal stuff, so just take my blog signature and get rid of the blog. in the url.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5ekurity wrote: »
    Well, the first thing you need to know is that each resume you submit should be tailored to the job you are trying to apply for
    Hope this helps!

So very true, I learned that the hard way early on. Cookie cutter Resume may get you a JOB, but not a career. Apply for the right jobs as well can be a big help. If you have 10 years in dbase design, then apply for a Managers position of Help Desk. Well that may not pan out for you.

But you need to get with someone that knows their way around a Resume, and can help you word yours to really pop off the page at a hiring manager or HR for that matter. So much now day HR departments make the cut before the IT staff even sees the resume stack.

Hope this was helpful.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    dubzerdubzer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    So very true, I learned that the hard way early on. Cookie cutter Resume may get you a JOB, but not a career. Apply for the right jobs as well can be a big help. If you have 10 years in dbase design, then apply for a Managers position of Help Desk. Well that may not pan out for you.

But you need to get with someone that knows their way around a Resume, and can help you word yours to really pop off the page at a hiring manager or HR for that matter. So much now day HR departments make the cut before the IT staff even sees the resume stack.

Hope this was helpful.

+ The cover letter. Show you'll be a great fit for the position. If you can't do that, recruiters are always great at doing that as well.