Cert for beginner server/networking

mrapocmrapoc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I have a degree in computing science, HND and btec lvl3 in it practitioner. I feel through my experience of working as a technician I already know the a+ content and not really sure if its worth considering.

Anyway I am looking to get proficient in networking and server setup and maintenance etc as I haven't really had any hands on or training in that field. I really want to know best practises etc.

Same with networking and basic security. Any recommendations on courses that I can study?

Cheers
Sam

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The MTA certs from Microsoft would be good, along with Comptia's Network+, Security+. CWNP's CWTS is a good basic overview of wireless networking. From there you can decide what path is best for you - be it admin, security, network design, support, etc.

Check Udemy for discounted courses, theres several links in the threads here for free courses on Linux, Python, etc for you to learn as well.

I wouldn't necessarily discount the A+. Some employers require it, others don't. At least read one of the books so you can familiarize yourself with the material if it comes up in an interview.
  • mrapocmrapoc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    The MTA certs from Microsoft would be good, along with Comptia's Network+, Security+. CWNP's CWTS is a good basic overview of wireless networking. From there you can decide what path is best for you - be it admin, security, network design, support, etc.

Check Udemy for discounted courses, theres several links in the threads here for free courses on Linux, Python, etc for you to learn as well.

I wouldn't necessarily discount the A+. Some employers require it, others don't. At least read one of the books so you can familiarize yourself with the material if it comes up in an interview.

Cheers will check them out. Which would be a good course to study for someone who knows nothing more about servers than basic active directory?

Sam
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Probably couldn't go wrong with the MSCA Server 2012 and CCENT. Those are the next two I'm planning after completing my A+ and Network+.