Domain Administration - Training

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've recently purchased a few domains that I'm planning on managing alongside a web server and mail server. In all of my training with my CCNA, Network+, etc, I've never run across anything that explained how domain management (mx, txt, cname records) work. I'm digging around my provider but I can't find much. It'd be great if there was some basic training on domain administration.

I have a Pluralsight membership but haven't been able to find anything that references this type of material.

Does anyone know where I can go to find something like this?

Comments

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This might help with the DNS Naming structure.
    How DNS Works: Domain Name System(DNS)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Why would CCNA and or Network+ cover that? It has nothing to do with managing of DNS and or CNAME records?

You would find that within the Microsoft track/s. Within your web console for your site, you are basically broadcasting your DNS and naming for your local environment.

i.e. Set your MX record to be populated out into the internet (generally 24hr process). Give names to your servers or resources sitting in your DMZ, or even to your internal network if you don't know better. :)

I used networksolutions for years this way, nothing to it really.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I think I learned about that back in NT 4 MCSE days, so I can't really claim to know and good current sources. Assuming you are looking for DNS related info (which seems to be what you are referencing), you might try something like

Download DNS in Small Networks Step-by-Step Guide from Official Microsoft Download Center
    or
    Windows Server 2003 DNS Server Essentials - Online Training Course for Developers

Those are pretty MS-centric, but an MX record is an MX record, a CNAME is a CNAME...
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why would CCNA and or Network+ cover that? It has nothing to do with managing of DNS and or CNAME records?

I meant to mean that in all my training, I've never seen the basics of DNS or domain management functionality, not necessarily in networking.
    thenjduke wrote: »
    This might help with the DNS Naming structure.
    How DNS Works: Domain Name System(DNS)

This is great, thank you.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I meant to mean that in all my training, I've never seen the basics of DNS or domain management functionality, not necessarily in networking.

Actually, I never learned anything about it during my MS years either. Pretty much login and figure it out but surely there is some support docs for this management from your provider?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »

You are welcome but the CCNA and Network+ I never leared about DNS much. I did learn about DNS in my Windows 2000 training days. I had no choice to pick it up because of AD.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually, I never learned anything about it during my MS years either. Pretty much login and figure it out but surely there is some support docs for this management from your provider?

Nothing that went into as much depth as TechNet.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Not sure what variations of CompTIA you guys have done in the past but the study material I read for A+, Net +, Sec + "ce" variation did cover DNS to a certain extent. Perhaps before the CE upgrade it wasn't covered.

However prior to my A+ certification I was already working as a system administrator for 3 years so I already knew what it did from my own learning in Server 2003 at my internship 5 years ago.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    This is a good quick explanation:

Differences between the A, CNAME, ALIAS and URL records - DNSimple Help

It also helps to memorize what the records stand for:

MX = mail exchanger (for email systems, typically points to an organizations email filter)
    CNAME = canonical name (used for aliases)
    A record = address record (maps IP to DNS)
    TXT = text entry (usually used with SPF parameters for mail validation)
    SRV = service record (used to point to specific services, like voice, KMS, LDAP, etc)
    AAAA = IPv6