SCCP vs CISSP

Robert PrestonRobert Preston Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
I see a lot of post for CISSP but not much for SCCP. I went to the website for these exams and it appears that a sponsor is needed for CISSP. My question is...

How come more people don't start out with SCCP and how do you take the CISSP if you don't have a sponsor?

Robert

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need someone to validate your experience (endorsement) for both the SSCP and the CISSP. This is done after the examination and isn't a requirement to sit the exam itself.

The SSCP can be a good stepping stone into IS, but the recognition of the SSCP is surpassed by other certifications.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't bother with it because it isn't as well known as the CISSP and my job considers SSCP on equal footing with Security+, which is more well known.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was considering going for the SSCP. However, after thinking more about it, I don't have actual IT work experience yet so passing either would grant me "Associate of ISC2". If I am going to get that title, I'd rather have that from passing a CISSP exam. Besides, when you get credits, you would have to decide which ISC2 certification to put it towards.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I didn't bother with it because it isn't as well known as the CISSP and my job considers SSCP on equal footing with Security+, which is more well known.
    This is too bad. I assume most organizations only compare the objective of the SSCP and Security+ certs and judge them to be nearly the same. However, if you also consider the extra depth the SSCP goes in the material and testing, they really are mid-level and entry-level respectively.
    Doyen wrote: »
    Besides, when you get credits, you would have to decide which ISC2 certification to put it towards.
    If you are active in a couple of security groups, and go to a couple of multi-day conferences a year, you will have more than enough CPEs to spread between the two.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    If you are active in a couple of security groups, and go to a couple of multi-day conferences a year, you will have more than enough CPEs to spread between the two.

Indeed. I recall making note about that advice you gave me on another SSCP CPE post. The main security groups that come to mind are ISSA, ISACA, ISC2, and Infragard. Those are really the ones that I am aware of in my area. Are there any others that I may have missed that you could also advise?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    This is too bad. I assume most organizations only compare the objective of the SSCP and Security+ certs and judge them to be nearly the same. However, if you also consider the extra depth the SSCP goes in the material and testing, they really are mid-level and entry-level respectively.

I also started a thread a while back for listing a wide variety of free CPE-earning activities: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/98674-list-freebies-cpes.html
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Doyen wrote: »
    Are there any others that I may have missed that you could also advise?
    If you are in to learning about Web app security then check if you have an OWASP chapter near you.