Options

I need some REAL advice here!!

Hi guys...I came from Tier 1 support to my new position of Network Engineer....I'm looking to advance not only my skill set,but also opportunities....Security is/has become a MAJOR area of concentration in our company'sIT dept and although there are no positions available now,I see a golden opportunity experience-wise. I want to hit the security realm of IT and really need to know the direction to take. I've narrowed the options down to CISA,CISSP,or vendor specialty(Security +) just to name a few. Where should I start focusing/studying towards?

Thanks-a-million and 1.................

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the sound of it, you lack the required job experience for CISSP. Go for Sec+ or CCNA-S
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    What aspect of security do you want to do? Like all things IT, there are many different things you can do. Since you're a network engineer now, network security (aka netsec) could be a logical transition. This is a more hands on/technical role of which CCNA:S would be of benefit.

Or, do you want to do the Information Assurance/Auditing/Compliance side of things?

To figure out your path you have to identify your goal(s).
  • Options
    iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
    lsud00d wrote: »
    What aspect of security do you want to do? Like all things IT, there are many different things you can do. Since you're a network engineer now, network security (aka netsec) could be a logical transition. This is a more hands on/technical role of which CCNA:S would be of benefit.

Or, do you want to do the Information Assurance/Auditing/Compliance side of things?

To figure out your path you have to identify your goal(s).

I finally see the line in the sand....more into the management aspect(CISA,CISSP,ISC,etc...). Our Senior Network Security Engineer broke it down to me as well. The difference between installing/configuring a FW/router OR verifying with a checklist that the FW/router is doing what company security policy dictates....I'll have to do a coin toss on this one,along with a bit of soul searching,because I've all the study material to go either path. Our security engineer also let me know if I have any questions about the management side(he's CISA and CISSP),his door is open....

Thanks for the reply..
  • Options
    Ccna security it is!!!!!
  • Options
    Heracles004Heracles004 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Choice!! CISSP is good to get eventually and a decent challenge if you like that sort of thing but if not just keep going on to CCNP Security!!!
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISSP can be done with ZERO work experience but you will need to be an Associate of ISC2 until you have gained the experience.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    abyssinica wrote: »
    CISSP can be done with ZERO work experience but you will need to be an Associate of ISC2 until you have gained the experience.

Which is a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad idea if you aren't already in a security role...since the window of time available to get the experience is only marginally larger than the amount of experience you need.
  • Options
    NovaHax wrote: »
    Which is a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad idea if you aren't already in a security role...since the window of time available to get the experience is only marginally larger than the amount of experience you need.
    I did a bit more researching and didn't realize the criteria that needs to be met in order to just become certified! It's an excellent field for those already within that area of experience,but that was a major part in my decision...."That's why I'm taking my talents South Beach"...oops wrong one!! I mean CCNA Security............