Windows Backup Not Working

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm trying to backup my user files and C:\ along with a system image of the C drive on to a 2TB external drive. Everything goes well right and when it completes I get an error message saying that "backup did not complete successfully" because of error 0x80070578 "invalid windows handle." I did a Google search and I found an article to start Windows Backup and Volume Shadow Copy in the services, which I did. That didn't work either. Then I tried to close all the applications and all the icons on the system tray. Also didn't work. What else can I do to alleviate this?[/FONT]

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have a different HDD that you can use for troubleshooting purposes? Try using a different disk and see if backup works that way.

Is there currently any data on that disk that is failing? Try formatting the disk and then trying the backup again on the newly formatted disk.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tried a different external HDD and it didn't get very far; far less than the original one I was testing. I have already formatted the original disk. And I formatted the second one tonight before I tried the back up.
    Did System File Checker (SFC) detect any errors?

Do any of these scenarios apply to you?

Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7

Another thing that immediately comes to mind, make sure you aren't using USB 3.0 drives plugged into USB 2.0 ports, or USB 2.0 drives plugged into USB 3.0 ports. I got a BSOD once recently when I did that with Acronis backup.

Also, check the Event Viewer for errors, there should be some entries in there to give you a better idea as to why backups are failing.

I did some brief research online and it was suggested that this could be caused by a malware infection, possibly due to rootkit activity. I highly recommend that you scan your system with Combofix, TDSSKiller, and Malwarebytes, in that order.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Did System File Checker (SFC) detect any errors?

Do any of these scenarios apply to you?

Error code 0x8100002F and or error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7

Another thing that immediately comes to mind, make sure you aren't using USB 3.0 drives plugged into USB 2.0 ports, or USB 2.0 drives plugged into USB 3.0 ports. I got a BSOD once recently when I did that with Acronis backup.

Also, check the Event Viewer for errors, there should be some entries in there to give you a better idea as to why backups are failing.

I did some brief research online and it was suggested that this could be caused by a malware infection, possibly due to rootkit activity. I highly recommend that you scan your system with Combofix, TDSSKiller, and Malwarebytes, in that order.

The link doesn't really apply to anything I'm seeing.

The external disks are USB 3.0; the problem is that these are the only one's I have.

I ran system file checker and it came back without any errors. I also rand TDSSKiller and Malwabytes and no errors came back. Combofix gave me a log file without any indication if it is all good or not.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Please Run sfc /scan now using option 2 in this tutorial: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

It would seem something is corrupted somewhere and the system is trying to access a window/file without a valid name, so run the system file checker to see if there is.

What flavor of Windows are you running?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    The external disks are USB 3.0; the problem is that these are the only one's I have.

Are you plugging them into USB 3.0 ports (blue-pinned ports) or USB 2.0 ports (black-pinned ports)?