Options

Red Hat OpenStack CL210 studying/practice issues

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind if I pick the brains of the folks who have experience with Red Hat OpenStack. I'm studying for the CL210 without having taken the class, so I'm basically covering everything.

Right now, I've gotten Foreman installed and working. I'm working on using Foreman in provisioning mode (which I'm not sure is even necessary for the test, it doesn't say in the exam objectives), but I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a copy of the installation media available via HTTP on the same server as Foreman. Does anyone have steps for that? It's obviously not the generic, "copy the data, make it available in apache" steps, unless I'm just doing it wrong. I've done provisioning with CentOS, but always used their public repositories, so never had this issue.

Comments

• Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could you post a list of resources for your study?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    brombulec wrote: »
    Could you post a list of resources for your study?

You can access red hat's documentation on their website, it pretty much covers everything A to Z.

[url]Http://access.redhat.com[/URL]

You can request an evaluation copy of Red Hat OpenStack.
  • Options
    Anybody around that has set up Cinder and/or Swift storage via Red Hat OpenStack that I can talk with?
  • Options
    The ITThe IT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Redhat RDO, was easy, first download the rpm from rdo.fedorapeople.org.
    Install openstack-packstack
    Run packstack --allione (which will install all modules)
    If fail ix the error and run packstack --file-answer=r/root/yourfileswer
    Enjoy full openstack.
  • Options
    The IT wrote: »
    I used Redhat RDO, was easy, first download the rpm from rdo.fedorapeople.org.
    Install openstack-packstack
    Run packstack --allione (which will install all modules)
    If fail ix the error and run packstack --file-answer=r/root/yourfileswer
    Enjoy full openstack.

Yeah,problem is this exam is on Red Hat OpenStack, so have to use their version and the Foreman way I assume. Additional problem is it appears there's been little to no QA on this product, as it doesn't work via the documentation.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    but I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a copy of the installation media available via HTTP on the same server as Foreman. Does anyone have steps for that?

This is the same you would do for kickstarting with a server containing install media via http.
    Essentially your just hosting a directory full of the dvd contents.
    ensure httpd is running and installed. If you need vhost, config as needed. Then mount the ISO, copy the mounted ISO contents into the hosted dir in /var/www/html and access it from the web. That's it.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    This is the same you would do for kickstarting with a server containing install media via http.
    Essentially your just hosting a directory full of the dvd contents.
    ensure httpd is running and installed. If you need vhost, config as needed. Then mount the ISO, copy the mounted ISO contents into the hosted dir in /var/www/html and access it from the web. That's it.

The foreman setup configures http where that's not a valid solution.
  • Options
    dtdellboydtdellboy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I asked this in a different thread but will ask again. Which tool packstack/forman should be used ? Which section in the documentation should be studied for the lab and is access to documentation available during the lab ? Thanks.
  • Options
    Can't share exam details, sadly, just use the red hat documentation to study and you'll do well.
  • Options
    The ITThe IT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    According to RH Red Hat | Red Hat OpenStack Administration (CL210)

[h=3]Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform installation[/h]
    • Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform using packstack and Foreman.
    • Create an instance with the Horizon web front-end.
  • Options
    abctx007abctx007 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    currently is EX210 based on which release of Openstack. havanna or icehouse
  • Options
    abctx007 wrote: »

It's based on versions of RHEL OpenStack Platform and when I took it, it was version 4.
  • Options
    herecomesboostherecomesboost Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Havanna
  • Options
    abctx007abctx007 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tks all for your replies i am planning to take the exam in nov 2014 by self studying. do you think Redhat might change exam content to Icehouse or is there any way to find out from redhat on what version of openstack are they currently certifying?
  • Options
    You can email training@redhat to ask. I've asked what versions some exams are on before and they answered me within a day or two.
  • Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tks all for your replies i am planning to take the exam in nov 2014 by self studying. do you think Redhat might change exam content to Icehouse or is there any way to find out from redhat on what version of openstack are they currently certifying?

RedHat will change entire lin of exams in next few months. They will upgrade all the RHCA/RHCE path to RHEL7 so if you know Icehouse better than Havana you should wait for exam upgrade.
    AFAIK there is no Trove part in current exam.
  • Options
    Taking this class starting today, since it was brought on-site to my company. I'll see if I can find out what version the exam is on.
  • Options
    Taking this exam this morning, as it's updated for RHELOSP5 from the v4 I passed previously. Will update with a description of how the class went later.
  • Options
    dtdellboydtdellboy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the update. I did get an reply from Redhat saying the exam is tested on OSP5. I thought the message broker should have changed from Qpid to RabbitMQ by now. However the course outline still shows Qpid. I am going to simulate the class setup (instructor/Student laptops) in my home lab and go through both packstack and forman.
  • Options
    Took me a while to get time to post a summary of this course. I really wanted to do it justice, because it was a great class. I believe there is only one guy teaching the class for Red Hat and he's great. I've taken a lot of classes and this guy was the best instructor I've experienced. He knew the technology inside and out, the past/future of the project, and had enough experience to talk about specific implementations and best practices in custom buildouts. Not only that, but he stays up on every OpenStack release.

What a great course, I really can't say enough. If you need OpenStack training, go take this class. We covered every major piece and had time to spare to talk about the other pieces not required for a base install (ceilometer, nagios, custom network plugins, etc.). Very in-depth discussion on every major piece and how they all fit together, as well as how to do small custom configurations (it was only 4 days, so you can't do too much).

In the end, the exam is but a small piece of what's covered in the class, but the exam covers what a sysadmin would need to do to get OpenStack up and running using RHEL OpenStack Platform.

I'm going to copy this specific post over to the virtualization forum and move all OpenStack discussion there.
  • Options
    ayushsayushs Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Brother can you please give me the rhel openstack 7 administrator guide in pdf format please brother